Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 09-11-2008, 05:15 AM

Chowder is on a distinguished road
Default DIY Zeo or Ultra Lithe Reactor

I got tired of shaking my phosban reactor to aggitate and clean the Zeolithe. I decided to make a pump still reactor out of my phosban reactor. To do this I bought some 1/2 inch acrylic rod , a 1/2 barbed plug, some 1/4 inch white plexy and weld-on 16.
This is what I ended up with......

I started by drilling out the center hole in the lid to 1/2 inch to receive the 1/2 inch rod. I ended up loosing the barbed fitting on the out side of the lid. I had to file the hole a little so the rod would move smoothly in the hole.

I then took the two round red pieces from inside the reactor and drilled the holes in the center to 1/2 inch. I saw the flanges off on the one side of each piece so I could glue them flush together. I glued them together because I thought it would be more durable that way since they are made of brittle plastic. I then took a 1 inch hole bit and drilled a 1 inch washer. I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the middle of it. I cut the 1/2 inch rod into a 14 inch length. I glued the two red pieces together then glued it to the rod . I glued the white washer behind it as a extra support.

I then started to drill the hole in the phosban tube. I drilled it out to 5/8 to fit the 1/2 inch barbed plug. I worked my way up to 5/8 by drilling a number of smaller holes untill I got to 5/8. I did this slowly because I was scared the acrylic tube would crack quite easily. I had to file the hole a little for the plug to fit. I glued it into place with weld-on 16. The reason for the barbed fitting in the bottom is to create flow from the bottom up.

I have not actually tested it yet in my tank. I will be setting it up in the next day or two and will let you know how it works. I am quite sure that there will be water comming out the top from around the rod. Similair to the actual Zeo reactors. Hope this helps someone .

Chris
Old 09-11-2008, 05:25 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

What a great idea. Good luck with the testing!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:00 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Look'n good Chris. I don't think it will mater if water leaks from the top. the first gen Zeo Reactors just over flowed

J
Old 09-11-2008, 03:38 PM

Thanks Guys. I am going to try and get it up and running tonight.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:58 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Try? come on. you can do it!
Old 09-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Wow cool idea, its a pain shaking that phosban reactor every day, one of the hoses would always dislodge and it would leak all over the place. I can't wait to hear how it pans out

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:44 PM

I had the same problem those fitting are just not ment for that.

Chris
Old 09-12-2008, 02:41 AM

Got the reactor up and running tonight. Everything works like it should. There is no water comming out of the rod hole. I do not have much flow going threw it though. Just changed the whole Lithe out and can't run it at a higher flow yet. The only thing I would change is for some reason I did not extend the rod to the bottom of the reactor. The bottom red brackets stop on the 1/2 inch barbed plug and make it a little uneven. It would be solved if the rod was extended to the bottom. The plunger is a little hard to start but flows easily up and down after the first inch. So far I am pleased with how it works.

Chris
Old 09-12-2008, 05:32 AM

hecks220 is on a distinguished road

I shake mine every day or other day. It's actually a great arm and shoulder work out! Shake and bake

65g/20g reef system, Euro RS-80, 2x tunze 6055, mod 6025, mag7, 250 HQI w/192 actinics, 100 lbs. LR
46g FOWLR
Old 04-02-2009, 04:41 AM

FlamesFan is on a distinguished road

Any update on the reactor? Was thinking of making one, please lemme know the cons if there have been any.