Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 03-23-2003, 05:32 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road
Default Webpages of our tanks are up

Our new website is up. While some of the new pages don't yet have photos, there is a lot of stuff to see on others:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com

Take care!

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 03-23-2003, 07:06 PM

Pansy-Paws is on a distinguished road

Really cool, Beverly! I especially like the small mammal set-up and the 'passionate pair'.

Our tank http://www.pansy-paws.com/aquarium/

29 gallon nano-tank
Old 03-23-2003, 08:00 PM

Trevor Robertson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Trevor Robertson

Well sounds like the hex is well on its way to be a great sight! I can't wait to see the pictures.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Robertson
Well sounds like the hex is well on its way to be a great sight! I can't wait to see the pictures.
Yeah, the hex is coming along nicely. On our website I state we have a 175w 6500k halide on it - but not just yet. We're still using the puny light that came with the tank and stand. Good thing the hex is surrounded by windows and is getting natural light. The halide's been ordered, but we're not sure when it'll get here. In the meantime, I think the sps and lps corals will be just fine.

There are six fish in the tank, but they're mostly hiding all the time. The spotted hawkfish comes out from time to time, the anthias is a total hider, but we know it's hole ;-) The two skunk clowns just hover in the same spot at the back of the tank. I'd have thought these two would spend more time roaming the reef. DH, Chris, thought we should get another 4 skunk clowns, but I think they'd all hover at the back. Sheesh! Besides, six fish in a 42g is about right. I suspected the yellow clown goby would hide and it does, so no surprise there. But the spotted goby, whose body is sort of transluscent seems to like it out in the open, at the front on the sandbed. So unless a person really looks around the tank, it looks like we have no fish :-(

The decorator crab is the coolest of everyone in the reef. He's already got a good collection of fuzzy green algae on his legs. He's very visible and doesn't spend his day hidden. Man, I think he's on the adventure of his life trying to get all the good stuff on him so he blends in better. He/she's got character, that's for sure.

Just wait, Trevor. You're rock'll be cured in a few short weeks and then you'll have a blast with your credit card. With a tank your size, the lfs will just love you :-)

Old 03-23-2003, 09:51 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

I thought you just bought that tank Beverly? You have all that stuff in there already?
Old 03-23-2003, 09:54 PM

Trevor Robertson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Trevor Robertson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly
Just wait, Trevor. You're rock'll be cured in a few short weeks and then you'll have a blast with your credit card. With a tank your size, the lfs will just love you :-)
Ya that is what I am worried about, there are still a lot of things that I need ... a 2nd or 3rd powerhead mabie some more lights?? I also would like to get some more rock, move things around abit. Then I would love to get some frags and a flame angel, mabie a regal tang?? Really I just want to see something move in the tank.

I have put some better images up on my web page or you can see small verisons in the pictures form.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB
I thought you just bought that tank Beverly? You have all that stuff in there already?
Yeah, bought the tank, stand and single light fixture as a unit last Saturday. Like you said, it didn't take long ;-)

We bought local rock that was already cured, so why not get some fish and corals, oh, and a decorator crab and snails, too. One of the lfs was having a sale this weekend on corals and fish, so we thought we'd go for it. With the rock already cured, why the heck not??!? Gotta love the decorator crab who's already picked off the rock all the good chunks of fuzzy green algae. While the fish seem timid yet, the crab's out and about like he/she owns the place.

The tank is surrounded by windows in our dining area, and DH changed chairs so he can watch the fish while he eats. It's kinda cool for him to be so interested. Well, he should be interested, the lucky guy's paying for it ;-)

Old 03-23-2003, 11:43 PM

Quote:

Ya that is what I am worried about, there are still a lot of things that I need ... a 2nd or 3rd powerhead mabie some more lights??
Depending on the kind of powerhead, you could probably use two in a 135. Depending, too, on the lights you currently have and what you want to grow, you'll probably upgrade there. This hobby ain't cheap, that's for sure. If you're a DIY-er, you'll probably save some money there.

Quote:
I also would like to get some more rock, move things around abit.
Yeah, move your rock around as much as you like while it cures. Visit a few lfs (like AI) that have tanks set up to get an idea how you'd like your rock to look. See what suits you before buying more. Arranging the rock differently may give you what you want with what you already have.

Quote:
Then I would love to get some frags and a flame angel, mabie a regal tang?? Really I just want to see something move in the tank.
You're gonna need more than a few frags to get that tank as great as you want. But frags are definitely a good way to begin.

Add tangs at the end. They can be somewhat aggressive and may do serious damage to fish added after them. Flame angels and their kin can sometimes go after corals, but they are beautiful fish. A lot of people do keep dwarf angels in their reefs with little or no problem though.

Quote:
I have put some better images up on my web page or you can see small verisons in the pictures form.
One of the pictures on your site that asks if it's a sponge, it looks more like some kind of coral polyps, but not so much like sponge. The other sponge question photo looks like the skeleton of a dead sps or lps coral.

HTH.

Old 03-24-2003, 01:58 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Wow I can't believe you just put 6 fish and corals into a newly setup tank in less than a week and are now giving advice to a newbie. How totally irresponsible.

Christy

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:16 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We bought local rock that was already cured, so why not get some fish and corals, oh, and a decorator crab and snails, too. One of the lfs was having a sale this weekend on corals and fish, so we thought we'd go for it.
I hope I am wrong, but that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

---------Homer Simpson--------