Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Do you vacuum your sandbed?
SSB: Yes every week when I do a AC/or when I do a WC 6 5.41%
SSB: Yes, but not all of it (can't reach it..or..<insert other excuse here>) 12 10.81%
SSB: Once in a while if I feel like it 18 16.22%
DSB: Are you kidding? I have a DSB! 13 11.71%
DSB: Yes..but I'm a brave one...um "brave" is the right word...right? 2 1.80%
Never 43 38.74%
I run BB so this doesn't apply 17 15.32%
N/A due to some other reason 0 0%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2008, 04:52 AM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road
Default Who vacuums their sandbed?

I have a SSB running on my tank, but the tank is so full of rock I really can't reach much of it...and the parts I can reach just end up in the bucket because my sand (caribsea aragamax) is too light to fall back down in the siphon thingie. Just wondering who all vacuums there sandbed?

And for those who do, how do you keep your sand from all ending up in your bucket? I could easily vacuum pretty much all of it directly into the bucket =/ If it is by using a different brand, what is that brand and grain size/shape?

Edit: I have an orange lipped conch and a signal goby that keep the sand churned up like Myka says, but I am worried about the possible detritus that may be building up.

Last edited by sharuq1; 04-27-2008 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:53 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Sometimes I vacuum the top if there is cyano, but usually I just stir it up a bit prior to a water change.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 04-27-2008, 04:56 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

I vacuum my SSB every water change. Keeps it nice a tidy looking. I guesstimate that I'll have to start adding new sand about once a year.

Steve Weast of Oregon Reef fame changed his entire sandbed on a regular basis.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:06 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharuq1 View Post
I have a SSB running on my tank, but the tank is so full of rock I really can't reach much of it...and the parts I can reach just end up in the bucket because my sand (caribsea aragamax) is too light to fall back down in the siphon thingie. Just wondering who all vacuums there sandbed?

And for those who do, how do you keep your sand from all ending up in your bucket? I could easily vacuum pretty much all of it directly into the bucket =/ If it is by using a different brand, what is that brand and grain size/shape?
I keep my very shallow (except at certain points) sandbed stirred and then run the diatom filter for awhile after. I usually stir it up once or twice a week and run the diatom after for a day or so. Keeps everything clean, mostly. To keep it perfectly clean and crisp you would need to replace it every month or so. There was a guy in europe on a rc tank of the month who replaced his whole sandbed i beleive once a month. Always a beautiful white.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:10 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot View Post
Sometimes I vacuum the top if there is cyano, but usually I just stir it up a bit prior to a water change.
I've seen your tank danny, i find it hard to believe it ever looks worse than perfect

Old 04-27-2008, 05:36 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I don't vacuum my sandbed, I have an Orange Lip Conch that does a very good job of keeping the sand churned, and white.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have a Hector's Goby that sifts the sand all day too. He picks at the rocks too.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-30-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:55 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

I have an inbetween ssb and dsb (up to 3" in some spots) and I leave it be, the worms get a bit upset if i disturb it

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 04-27-2008, 02:20 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

I mostly vacuum my SSB when I feel like it. I keeps getting harder to get to all the time, so eventually I probably won't be able to. I vacuum into a filter sock, so I can take my time.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:02 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ol Nobodaddy View Post
I keep my very shallow (except at certain points) sandbed stirred and then run the diatom filter for awhile after. I usually stir it up once or twice a week and run the diatom after for a day or so. Keeps everything clean, mostly. To keep it perfectly clean and crisp you would need to replace it every month or so. There was a guy in europe on a rc tank of the month who replaced his whole sandbed i beleive once a month. Always a beautiful white.

I do the same thing, but also put an extension on the intake of the diatom and suck up any algae from rocks, powerheads, etc. An extension on the exhaust also works good for blowing detritus from hard to get to places.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:50 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharuq1 View Post
Edit: I have an orange lipped conch and a signal goby that keep the sand churned up like Myka says, but I am worried about the possible detritus that may be building up.
If your powerheads are placed properly and are of the right size you should have NO detritus building up. If you notice a spot, adjust your powerheads. I do notice detritus on top of the sand now and then, and when I see it I do suck it out during a waterchange and then adjust my powerheads, but by no means do I vacuum the sand.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-27-2008 at 04:53 PM.