Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Old 04-22-2008, 01:56 AM

MMAX is on a distinguished road
Default Something to fix damaged fins?

Anyone know of anything (medication or other) that will repair damaged fins and tails on fish? I had two very agressive angels that I thought were eating the fins of my silver dollars and arowana. I got rid of them a few weeks ago but haven't seen any improvement. The silver dollars are missing some big chunks out of their tails and the arowana's top and bottom fins and tail are almost totally gone and badly frayed.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:48 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Keeping them well fed and healthy is probably your best bet. I have heard that Melafix works, that may be worth a try. FWIW, it can take quite some time for fins to heal, depending on how damaged they are.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:40 AM

calkrog is on a distinguished road

i started soaking the food in garlic when my coral beauty was really beat up. seemed to do the trick.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:56 AM

ILIKECOUGARS is on a distinguished road

I would use Melafix.
Melafix is an all-natural medication derived from the leaves of "melaleuca," the scientific name for the tea tree. The healing properties of tea tree extract has been known for centuries. University studies and extensive laboratory tests showed that melafix is an effective bacterial remedy for freshwater and marine fish. Melafix also caused rapid repair of damaged fish tissue and fins. New growth was seen in as little as four days of treatment.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:21 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

I have not heard of meds for this but time sould cure all ails if the source is gone.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:29 PM

Pier Pressure is on a distinguished road

Water conditioner is also supposed to be good for damaged fins. I always put a few shots in when I have a fish with damaged fins and it seems to work.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:15 AM

Keri is on a distinguished road

You sure it's not the silver dollars doing it to the arowanna and eachother? The only SDs I ever had were jerks like that. If the chunks are really big you may end up with permanently amputated or shortened areas of the fins....take a look at the average Large silver dollar, a lot of them have this kind of damage. Barring infection these areas will heal over on their own.

Assuming your tank is large enough you can always try putting a few more hiding spots or "view obstructing" items like big plants in the tank so there are fewer quarrels over territory.

Also make sure all of your parameters are OK as this can contribute to slow healing. Good luck!

Last edited by Keri; 04-24-2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:54 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

The tank's been running for well over a year, all parameters are fine, there's plenty of big plants and rocks for hiding places and it's not the silver dollars doing this. They are both wusses and are scared of everything.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:43 PM

Keri is on a distinguished road

ok
Old 05-15-2008, 05:28 AM

S.D is on a distinguished road

I agree, Melafix is very good to use. We've used it on occasion for our freshwater fish and have had fabulous results.

Sarina