Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-26-2003, 05:53 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation
Default Kalk reactors, co2 reactors, etc.

First check out my post on Michaels kalk thread, to see how we got here.

Brad, over the years and several different kinds of co2 reactors, I have never been able to get the calcium output very high. Hence my agreement with the term "alk. reactor" instead. The best I seem to get from them is just over my tanks ca levels. I have always supplemented with kalk or 2-part, which seems kind of redundant, IMO.

I have both a large co2 reactor and a large kalk reactor. One is going, so I am doing somemore research. This is besides the normal stuff, like enough evaporation for kalk use and the use of kalk ot keep ph levels higher and the common phrase "overdrive" one or the other, which I have used myself.

I know some, who use only a co2 reactor and have high ph always. :?: Of course then, there is always the concern of excessive co2, fueling an algae problem, although in my case, the effluent feed goes into the scrubber.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:57 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

let me know there doug ifyou are getting rid of the reactor.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:08 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Doug, when I first setup my new "Alk" reactor, I had to raise the levels with supplements (CaOH & CaCO3). I did this once the levels were stable. I find now that the reactor will actually raise the levels. Have you ever seen Sanjay's formula for tuning a reactor? Might solve some of your problems.
I turned my pH monitor off 'cause it was driving me nuts. Now I use visual queues to determine the state of the tank. You may recall when I was all panicky about my pH.... my fish and corals weren't panicking, just me. I drip the effluent into a high flow area and it seems fine. Like I said, sometimes I just add kalk for no good reason...just feel like it.
Also, as I've mentioned in a couple of other threads today, first determine what your consumption is, then determine how to replace it. A Ca reactor AND saturated kalk may be too much for your tank....do your animals use as much as you put in? Most people don't know.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:25 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Wow this thread is just what I was hoping to find. I have a chronic low but not a problematic low pH, good Alk and my Ca keeps dropping off.
Day to day my pH reaches a high of 8.13 and a low of 8.01 my Alk sits at 11dKH and doesn't seem to move, my Ca however can get up to 400ppt for a day and then it will be back to 340-360ppt with in 24 hours. I am using only Kent Turbo Calcium as a suppliment right now. I was thinking of adding some Kalk again to my top off water. I was hoping the Kalk would help stabilize my Ca and my pH. Any comments?
Old 02-26-2003, 07:34 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

couple of comments. Your pH is just fine and I wouldn't worry about it. Really small swing and the minimum is not too low at all.
Turbo calcium is CaCl. You will get a buildup over time of chloride in your tank from using it as a constant source. It is more designed to fix a problem once.
The kalk will only maintain levels, not change them. Again, determine what your consumption rates are so you know how much to add.
I find it strange that the alk stays at 11 dKh and the Ca jumps around so much.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:57 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Brad,
Thanks for the tip on the Turbo Calcium. I had no idea it was CaCl or I wouldn't have used it. I guess I'll go back to the liquid calcium for now.

Christy

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:05 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5
Brad,
Thanks for the tip on the Turbo Calcium. I had no idea it was CaCl or I wouldn't have used it. I guess I'll go back to the liquid calcium for now.

Christy
Christy, for making a change in your Ca levels to correct an imbalance, turbo Ca is the best option (or road salt) but to maintain Ca, one of the other balanced methods is best.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:10 PM
Staff

So how about that other balanced method, the Ca reactor. Is that feasible anytime soon??

Christy

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:33 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5
So how about that other balanced method, the Ca reactor. Is that feasible anytime soon??
ya, ya...I'm workin' on it!!
Old 02-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Staff

eeeexxxxxcellent Smithers!

My 180 Build