Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Vancouver Island

Old 01-07-2008, 05:19 PM

nats is on a distinguished road
Default where to go

Hi everyone,
I live here in Victoria. I am wanting to start my first reef tank. I am taking my time and doing my research. I am now ready to buy my tank and get started. My problem is this. I have called 5 stores some Victoria and some on the mainland, and nobody wants to give me prices or help. I dont understand it! Any advice would be appreciated
Old 01-07-2008, 10:01 PM

Redrover is on a distinguished road

I would try Hidden Reef in Abbotsford..." Free Shipping "
Phone : 604 856 1433

RJ
Old 01-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nats View Post
Hi everyone,
I live here in Victoria. I am wanting to start my first reef tank. I am taking my time and doing my research. I am now ready to buy my tank and get started. My problem is this. I have called 5 stores some Victoria and some on the mainland, and nobody wants to give me prices or help. I dont understand it! Any advice would be appreciated
Well for the help part we can certainly take care of that if you're trying to decide on what to get (if you want non store type help ). Try some of the stores online to get ideas of prices.

www.oceanaquatics.com

www.jlaquatics.com

www.hiddenreef.com

all are online and are based in the lower mainland.

There is also a store in Duncan where they have great customer service and Scott or Brad will certainly help you out with any questions you have. Its called Island Pet Zone.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:49 PM

scumchug is on a distinguished road

Yeah, what she said. IPZ ( Island Pet Zone) in Duncan is pretty good. The boys there will go out of there way to give you all the help and advise you will need. You can expect to pay about the same as the mainland. If they don't have what you want, they will get it reasonably quick.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:28 AM

Cameron is on a distinguished road

For Island stores IPZ will match Vancouver prices. Other than that most stores in Victoria are grossly overpriced, they claim it is the cost of shipping and rent, though most Vancouver stores will ship to our stores here free and have higher rent. So take it as you will. Len at Hillside aquatics was very helpful to me when I was starting. TAKE IT SLOW.....you will hear it a lot, and you will go fast everyone does because it is exciting....but you will lose some things because of going to fast.

I travel to Vancouver at least once a month and pick up most of my supplies there. I deal with Scott @ Island Pet Zone(he will meet you in Victoria to drop off to!), Phil & Jeff @ JL Aquatics, Wendell @ Ocean Aquatics, and Mike @ Hidden Reef.

If you have any questions please just post up or PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:13 AM

thanks for the tips everyone. I talked with a store in Vancouver and they were very helpful. I will call island petzone tommorrow to see if they can give me the same kind of pricing. I am going to have a ro system installed before I buy the tank. I like the 72 gallon all glass bow front. Is there anyone in the victoria area that would be willing to help me set it up. I would pay of course.
thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 AM

Cameron is on a distinguished road

I'll help out and even donate a frag(fragment) of kenya tree to you. RonD is also very helpful with local reefers. There is a victoria site www.tgvas.com they do have some strict rules though, but it is a good group.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:57 PM

JoelV is on a distinguished road

Old 02-18-2008, 12:10 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nats View Post
Hi everyone,
If you want to same some real money then buy a complete system from someone here on the board who is getting out. You'll save thousands.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:34 AM

I have been waiting but not too many people here on the island are wanting to sell a complete system. I went to a local store and they are saying around 4200.00 plus taxes to start up a 90 gal with live rock.: