Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 10-28-2007, 04:23 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road
Default making close loop system

OKOK, I have been schooled :d aint this forum great. its a MANIFOLD system, not closed loop I building LOL

Just wonderin what you all think about the closed loop ring I did today. 7 Loc Line flare nozzles will be installed. Theres 3 in front, on the curve. Plumbed with 5/8 clear poly tube, 1 fitting under each corner, adn the 2 in the back. Wondering if I should have 1 more on the right side, make it even on each side? or will that be enough? You can also see the overflow I built. Yes, I broke one strainer tooth\

Last edited by banditpowdercoat; 10-29-2007 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:33 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Hey, that's looking really good! I think you could leave it as is....except that I would paint the clear tubing with a reef-safe black paint (krylon fusion?). Otherwise algae will grow inside, especially since it's right under the lighting! But really great--looks good.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 10-28-2007, 04:42 AM

Ya, Drew, thx. I was going to paint the White tubing, never thought about the Clear and Alge growing. Good tip
Old 10-28-2007, 04:57 AM

Dale is on a distinguished road

Good tip regarding the algae growth Drew!
I don't know if adding another nozzle will be of benefit Bandit. Unless you are running a high output pump (with the added problems of pressurized lines) you would be hard pressed to provide adequate flow to the seven you already have.
A question: Have you attached the tubing along the front of the tank and if so how? I can't tell from the photo. If it isn't attached at the midpoint (just suspended on the ends of the arc) I wonder if it will sag with 80* water running through it?
Old 10-28-2007, 05:27 AM

It's not attached yet, but will be. The plastic trim is acctually away from the tank glass, so I will drill holes in the trim, and run Ty-raps arounf the hose. Not the cheap rad-Shack zip ties either. I get, courtesy of West fraser Mills, good Black, Thomas-Betts Ty raps. I am an electrician. So you know that some cool water top off, and possibly a PLC controll I go overboard on everything I do

Also, I was thinking a Danner Mag 1800 for pump, adn will have the locline shutoffs on some if not all nozzles. I never ordered any shutoffs yet, want to see what the WOT flow will be like first, so I can get an idea what needs to be done
Old 10-29-2007, 12:53 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

I wish I would have done a closed loop on my old corner tank. They're really a pain to produce flow in otherwise.

I don't see where the intake will be coming from, have you done that part yet?
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 10-29-2007, 12:56 AM

there is the stock 2 bulkhead fittings behind the surface overflow. That will be the sum intake/tank drain. 2 Durso style drains. Just trying to adapt PVC to the stock Fluval fittings. Seems Fluval made them offsize of standard fittings. I fear I will need some hose couplers and clamps. Is stainless still a nono, in a tank????
Old 10-29-2007, 01:00 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Yeah, don't use stainless steel.

OK, so I'm just trying to understand. Is the return from the Fluval coming through the loclines on top? Or is it simply a closed loop?

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 10-29-2007, 01:45 AM

Ya, The overflow drains to the sump, where I will have a mag 1200 pumping into the loop, via the PVC in the back. Sorry if thats not a closed loop???? I was under the impression that the Loop itself, is what they call closed loop, because you allways have a drain and return from the sump???

And on hose clamps, Plastic is the only thing for inside the tank???

Last edited by banditpowdercoat; 10-29-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:51 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Closed loop is drain and return at same head.

What you have see referred to as a manifold (see picture here).