Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-03-2007, 03:33 AM

Renegade is on a distinguished road
Default Power Usage VS $$$$

Hey guys i'm just wondering what is the overhead on running a 120g. I rent so i do not see my bill but i was wondering what my 120 is costing me to run a month.

i have a 120g with 2 250 MH, Euro Skimmer, Dart, Mag 7, Heater, 18W UV, maxijet 400, Refug, with 28W corallite light for refug. 2, 120mm fans (heavey dutie, running 24/ 7)

What do you think my average power consumtion is ?

Kyle
Old 07-03-2007, 04:42 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

You can figure that out yourself. Electricity usage is charged in kilowatt hours (kWh). That means if you can figure out how many watts you use over the hours of each day, you can figure out how much you're paying.

For example, if you run your two 250W halides 10 hours a day - that's 2 x 250 x 10 = 5,000 watt hours or 5 kWh. Multiply that by whatever BC Hydro is charging per kWh and you have your daily usage. Simply multiply by 30 for the amount you are paying per month. Now you just have to add up all of your pumps, lights etc. to figure it out.

For things like lights and return pumps it's easy because you know exactly how long they are on, but with heaters and powerheads on wavemakers it's a little trickier.

Adding up watts via the labels on the back of each electrical device gets you the nominal power usage. You can purchase devices such as a "Kill-A-Watt" that can measure actual power usage.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:07 AM

Renegade is on a distinguished road

kool thanks very much for the reply but does anyone out there know an average or ballpark figure?

Kyle
Old 07-03-2007, 05:11 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

My 220g reef uses about $32-38 worth of electricity depending on the time of year (ie. heaters in winter etc.) last time I calculated it.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:40 PM

Todd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
My 220g reef uses about $32-38 worth of electricity depending on the time of year (ie. heaters in winter etc.) last time I calculated it.
Per month?
Old 07-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I figure my 90 is about $25-30 a month, running 720W lights, chiller, various powerheads skimmer, reactor and return pump.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.