Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road
Default Low alk since switching to Gen-X reactor media

Hey guys,

I was just wondering for those of you that use the larger sized reactor media if you've had any problems with alk. I've always set my reactor at the same settings (about 60bpm CO2 and a steady drip rate) and my alk has just gone down the toilet since I started using this media at the end of april. I managed to "maintain" an alk level of 7.4 sometime in may but I'd loaned out my test kits for a bit and didn't get a chance to measure again until a couple of weeks ago. My alk had dropped to 5.4. I upped the CO2 and waited a bit before testing again and the alk was at 4.8 the last time I checked it (on the weekend).

I was under the impression that this stuff used less CO2? At this rate if I have to crank up the CO2 any higher I'll be finished the bottle in just a few months (usually lasts about 10 months or so) and have algae up the wazoo no doubt

I guess in the meantime I'll be going the baking soda routine (whee) or going back to the finer grained stuff. I never had a problem with it before just thought I'd try something new.

Anyway, just wanted peoples thoughts on the stuff.

TIA,
Christy

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.

Last edited by christyf5; 06-11-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:35 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wow, that sucks .. What pH are people running these things at? I remember the Schuran reactors when they first came out, people were running them at insanely low pH values, like in the 6's or possibly even the 5's. Which means significantly higher CO2 rates obviously but maybe the catch is you can get away with a slower effluent rate. (ie. in the end the same amount. or close to the same amount, of CO2 "escapes" into the tank, so to speak).

Good luck figuring it out! I'd like to know too since I was going to switch to this media once I've finished up my current A.R.M. (old style smaller particles, dang I seem to have a ridiculously large stockpile of it .. apparently I didn't need to "oh I'll just order one more container of A.R.M. to finish up the shipment" quite so much.. )
Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

Quote:
(about 1bpm CO2 and a steady drip rate)
I was thinking about switching from ARM as well, but just to double check if you meant 1 bp minute or 1bp second. At 1 per minute I'd be saving alot of CO2.

Has anyone tried Super Calc Gold or Koralith?
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium
Old 06-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Staff

oops my bad, one per second. I think right now I have it at like 1.5 per second.

someone using the ARM stuff had reported one per minute though. I used to use ARM and I certainly used way more than that!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:39 PM

fishface is on a distinguished road

sounds very familiar...i try to keep pH around 6.7, any lower and my tank drops too much. i haven't used anything else but if and when this is gone i'll give some other media a shot.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:12 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

can't contribute (using ARM and if anything my alk goes high) but why's everyone switching from ARM?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:39 PM

zulu_principle is on a distinguished road
Smile

Ill check my systems here that are running the same reactor and same media and get back to you.

As for the schuran reactor, no problems on alk.

Wendell
Old 06-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
can't contribute (using ARM and if anything my alk goes high) but why's everyone switching from ARM?
For me, it was something new. I'm easily swayed by "ooh new and improved" sometimes. Most likely I was at the LFS and itching to spend my money on something. I do that sometimes

My 180 Build

Old 06-12-2007, 11:31 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

No way - you too?? Wow I wonder if anyone else is like that too. I thought I was all alone..
Old 06-12-2007, 11:39 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
For me, it was something new. I'm easily swayed by "ooh new and improved" sometimes. Most likely I was at the LFS and itching to spend my money on something. I do that sometimes
I'd be the same way if I had an lfs around here to visit

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252