Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-19-2006, 02:35 PM

Jaws is on a distinguished road
Default School of Anthias

I'm just wondering if you buy a school of anthias without a male, is it more stressful for the rest of the females to survive until one changes to a male or should they be fine? Thanks.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:57 PM

craignlisa is on a distinguished road

I have had 4 females in my tank for 6 months and i have no male yet
About a month into it the 2 larger females battled it out for about 4 days. Mouth locking every 2 secs i though t one was turning then. But after the 4 days all was good and i have yet to have a problem with them. They all stay together. So i would say it would be fine.

Lisa
130 gallon,20 gallon sump, 12,39 watt t5's in custom hood. naso tang,,pair of saddleback clowns, pair of true percs, 4 anthias,6 blue chromis, coral beauty, potters angel, keyhole angel,royal gramma,sixline wrasse,cleaner wrasse; and my new gorgeous and eating wonderfully regal angel,2 purple lta's and ,lots of softies and looking to upgrade the corals
Old 12-19-2006, 05:05 PM

What are the differences between the males and females? Whoa... maybe that's a question for my Mom and Dad.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:18 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

I think the general diference is that the males have either a distinguishing feature or more vibrant coloration, depending on the type of anthias. They are much like African cichlids in that regard. For example, in red cheek anthias only the male actually has the red cheek, the females remain 1 solid color.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 12-19-2006, 05:54 PM

i2ik is on a distinguished road

Usually after a while, there should be a male starting to form in a female group, the difference between them is color and form which will change in a female to become a male. What kind of anthias are we talking here? Dispar? Bartlett?
Old 12-19-2006, 06:02 PM

Psyire is on a distinguished road

Best to buy all females at first I personally think. That way they can sort things out and be done with it.

It is possible for a big female to bully a small male and actually turn into a male herself, then you have 2 males which causes problems most of the time.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ik View Post
What kind of anthias are we talking here? Dispar? Bartlett?
They're dispars. I've got them acclimating right now. They look amazing.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:09 AM

Scavenger is on a distinguished road

Hey Jaws, I've had 3 dispars in the past. Did great until I moved them. I would really love to house a larger school of anthias, I'm just worried about students going from honor roll to drop outs! Let us know how your dispars do on their SAT's please?
Old 12-20-2006, 05:21 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Reference material I've read says that Anthias need to be fed often...more than once per day.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:42 AM

I feed at least twice a day now but I plan on upping it to three times a day. They do need to be fed often but in very small amounts apparently. It was pretty funny when I finally got around to adding them to the tank. I was able to scoop six of them all at once in the acclimating tank I set up because they school so well. I put them in the tank and they seemed to disappear before I even got a chance to look at them. I grabbed the other two and put them in the tank as well. As soon as I put the other two in the tank a few others came out to point out where they were and next thing in knew, six of them were all together hiding under one of my corals stacked on top of eachother like firewood. I've seen my chromis school when the lights go out or when they think they're threatened but I've never seen a picture of dispar anthias without them being in a close group. I'm really hoping everything works out and they all make it. I hope the other two find the group as well.