Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 10-08-2006, 09:44 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Top down clam shots!

I tried to take some topdown pics of my clams. While I'm not happy enough with any of the photos to submit them to a contest, I think I took away some ideas to try for the next attempt.

But, since I spent about 1/2 hour getting these, I'm going to share them anyhow just so I can convince myself the attempt wasn't a waste of time..

T. crocea:

Also T. crocea:

T. squamosa:

This guy is much nicer in person, I can't seem to capture the right colour balance on photo. More practise is required.
This is the clam that is hosting a commensal shrimp of some kind. One day I'll try to get a better pic of that, every but so far attempt of mine produces more or less the exact same fuzzy picture as I've posted before, so I haven't bothered putting those up. Again more practise I suppose.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:16 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Those are pretty nice clams, Tony

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 10-08-2006, 10:19 PM

Tarolisol is on a distinguished road

I want some clams, but im scared to see what my regal angel will do to them

Back in the good ole days
Old 10-11-2006, 03:05 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Photos turned out pretty nice IMO Tony!!
Old 10-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Dang those clams do look nice!

How big are they?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:50 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys!

I did try again after posting these and found a way to get the better edge definition in the photos of the mantles that I was hoping for (the posted pics above have a certain "fuzzyness" to them and some of the finer details of the mantle, such as the little dots, don't show up as well as I'd have hoped). However in the next attempt, what I did was go with the smallest f-stop possible (to gain the largest depth of field) and that seemed to extend my focal range. Whereas before it's like a paper thin slice of the picture that's in correct focus. Of course at the smallest aperture, the shutter speed is open longer, so I had to step up the f-stop until the camera selected a shutter speed that I was able to hold the camera steady at (about 1/30s).

I was already shutting off the pumps and powerheads for the shot so that there is no current to move the mantle around which I think also helped.

This gave me results like this:

The image is possibly slightly underexposed, but that seems to allow better detail to come through. So I think I like it better slightly underexposed.

Christy, the crocea's are about 6" at full mantle extension. Shells are probably more like 4" end-to-end. The Squamosa is easily 12" at full expansion, and the shell is more like 9". The maxima (which you can only see peeking out between the two crocea's) is about 3" and maybe about 2" at the shell.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

Very nice!
Old 10-11-2006, 11:46 PM

Quagmire is on a distinguished road

the last one is realy nice.How do you do top down shots without getting a reflection from your lights?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:49 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
the last one is realy nice.How do you do top down shots without getting a reflection from your lights?
I use a plexi-glass box to shoot through to reduce glare, etc.

Lookin' good Tony.

Greg
Old 10-12-2006, 02:58 AM

Thanks Greg

I use a little acrylic box too. I make sure the lens is butted right up to the acylic otherwise I'll still get light reflections. Sometimes I have to sort of have the whole thing at a slight angle just to avoid interference from the lights. Basically it takes a little trial and error.