Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-31-2006, 06:04 AM

prosnow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to prosnow
Default what should i add first....

was wondering if anyone had some input on the first thing i should put in my tank...should i go fish...or should i go coral, and if so what...i'm planing on 2 perc's. for fish, and pulsing xenia, galaxia, maybe some sort of mushroom, frogspawn and an acro later on.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:40 AM

seashells is on a distinguished road

The percs would be good. At lease they are reasonably hardy for a new tank. A foxface is another good choice IMHO.

Doug
Old 03-31-2006, 07:24 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Foxface is good only in a big tank (90g or more) IMO. The percs would be a good first choice.

Anthony
Old 03-31-2006, 10:26 AM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

i would question the foxface, do a little more research. i would say to put corals if first. i've read alot stating that is good to let corals get a foot hold without the stress of having fish nipping at them. mushrooms are a very good starter and easy to care for. xenia is also nice if controlled. if you start with a frag would be better. alot of people say xenias can become a nuisance if not controlled.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:17 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

With an 18g tank my suggestion would be to put the fish in first and let the system equalize as far as bacteria to process the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. With that size tank and 2 fish (and the food you feed them) it may take 3 or 4 weeks for things to work themselves out and stabalize. Then I would start adding coral - maybe some xenia, mushrooms, gsp or whatever other soft corals you like.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:24 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I would say WATER, then Salt seriously though get your rock in.. arange and rearange till your happy.. then get some corals, then slowly start buying fish. or if you want get some fish and then get corals it realy doesn't matter.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:58 PM

prosnow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to prosnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy
I would say WATER, then Salt seriously though get your rock in.. arange and rearange till your happy..
Steve
ya, i've already rearanged my rock like 5 times, and just added like a 1/2 inch sandbed because i couldnt stand the look of BB.. oh well, looks a million times better and it actually isnt flying all around the tank i'm surprised
Old 03-31-2006, 03:42 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

I say fish first, then corals. As mentioned.. start with some somewhat easy stuff... zoos are good, shrooms IMO are good for the first couple weeks.. then they spread, and take over.. and you're left with regret. I wouldn't add them , but that is MY opinion. Xenia will be a good choice as well...

Clowns would be an ideal choice for fish.. they add lots of colour, movement, and personality. I also am a big fan of gobies or other small fish.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:46 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Galaxia would not be a good choice in such a small tank. They are very territorial corals and will kill anything it touches. Mine even layed a beating to my frogspawn which is usually know as a territorial coral in it's own right.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041