Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-10-2006, 05:56 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road
Default Those little starfish

I just read the following article and it stated that those tiny starfish that everyone in Calgary seem to have actually eat soft corals and LPS. Anyone ever heard of this.

http://g.msn.com/9SE/1?http://www.ma...=7&CS=AWP&SR=7
Old 02-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Hmm, that would certainly explain a few things going on in my tank right now.

Dang! I like them, they're cute

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:33 PM

Old Guy is on a distinguished road

If they eat blue shrooms, I could use a couple hundred .
Old 02-10-2006, 07:44 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I can honestly say that I've never ever seen my Asterina stars bother SPS. I remember years ago being warned about them, get them out ASAP, etc., but I figured, I'm going to wait and see if they ever do any damage. Despite numerous other things which of course DID do damage to my SPS, I still think that they never hurt any of mine.

But the warnings come up from time to time, so there must be something to that too.

My take on it is, there are probably several species within the Asterina genus that look very similar, to my eye I wouldn't know the difference between them. But some are harmless, and some are not. I must have some of the harmless ones.

So I guess all I want to say is, don't assume they're harmful (or I guess, don't assume they're harmless). "Observe and verify..."

Just my $0.02
Old 02-10-2006, 08:54 PM

richtg is on a distinguished road
Talking

I used to have lots, and they never seemed to prey on anything that I could detect. My move in October wiped out the population though. Nothing else died. Wierd, eh?

So, If you want to get rid of them, just buy a new house and move. (That's my version of humour, BTW)

Rich.
90gal Starfire mixed reef, 400W MH (Giesemann 13K megachrome/Icecap E-ballast), (2) 54W T5 Giesemann true actinic, 45gal sump (65W 50/50 PC), ASM G-3 Skimmer, Mak 4 return, Sequence Dart closed loop, foam backdrop, 120 lbs LR, 2" sandbed, & 1 dillhole running the show.