Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-24-2005, 10:34 PM

outtafocus is on a distinguished road
Default coral growth

Is there a trick or supplement that people use to promote coral growth?
I has a few zoos and a colt I was hoping would start expanding or at least increase in size but so far neither has done much.

My light is good, a 150w hqi 14000k halide with 40w of 50/50 pc supplement.
Any tips?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:55 PM

deacon hemp is on a distinguished road

Would need more info?...........how bigs the tank?,how long has it been setup?,whats your water paramaters?ect.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:00 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Yes, Ca, Alk & MG levels as well as salinty, Ph and water flow, then we can help you out. But realistically, watching corals grow can be like waiting for the kettle to boil. If you are patient, you'll see the growth in time.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 11-24-2005, 11:08 PM

outtafocus is on a distinguished road

I wasnt looking for specific info for my tank, mostly looking for any tips, like feeding certain foods.
But if coral grows slow then it grows slow.
I have heard people talk about some types of zoos growing like weeds, just thought there might be a trick
Old 11-25-2005, 01:41 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Some do, some don't. The general rule of thumb is, the prettier the zoo or the more coveted, the slower it's going to grow. You think I'm kidding, don't you.

In general, Calcium and alkalinity are used by most reef building corals. You hear Ca and alk referred to in terms of stoney corals and clams, but to a degree all things use these to some extent. However with water changes, you can easily maintain things without having to fuss about the numbers so much (it's when you get into SPS and clams that you indeed you probably should start paying more attention to those parameters).
Old 11-25-2005, 06:03 AM

deacon hemp is on a distinguished road

Heres just a personal thing,zoa's seem to grow fast for me and i dont have perfect water! no skimming,just once a week 10% waterchanges and do move them around.I get new polyps per week on some of the (harder) ones!
Old 11-25-2005, 01:09 PM

NanoReef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to NanoReef

zoos dont like being moved, leave them be in one spot and they will grow better. also, keep your calcium levals i little higher than normal. mine grow like crazy and i dont even have the lights you do!
Old 11-25-2005, 02:16 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoReef
zoos dont like being moved, leave them be in one spot and they will grow better. also, keep your calcium levals i little higher than normal. mine grow like crazy and i dont even have the lights you do!
this is not entirely true....

if your zoos are on a nice chunk of rock with room to spread on that rock... you can move them where you'd like. it's only once the zoos start spreading off the rock when it becomes a problem obviously. zoos are hardy and indestructable IME , they can be placed nearly anywhere you please... ideal spots would be a moderate flow and as much light as possible to bring colours out and promote growth.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:32 PM

WWWD is on a distinguished road

ive found that pretty much anytime i have moved any of my zoos they stop growing for a few weeks until they get settle back in and feel compfortable.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:23 PM

Gizmo is on a distinguished road

I use Iodine Supplements from Kent Marine, Keep the calcium levels high, and dose Tech-I every 2 weeks, Coral-Vite every week and Coral-Accel every day. I've noticed my Zoo's do very well and my colt has quadroupled in size every 6 months or so. I've been very happy with this product and it has helped my corals grow. For feeding I make a batch of blended mysis, a color enhancing flake and cyclopleeze for the fish, but a lot gets to the corals as well.