Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer
Default Disaster falls upon my 180.

hey all,
it is at my displeasure to let you all know disaster has fallen upon my 180 sps dominated reef aquarium.

the tank is still at my parents house, though i do live nearby, i have found i rarely have time to look after it... as far as i can tell, the water parameters had gone terribly askew due to failure in my auto-topoff and kalk reactor. i believe the float valve had gotten stuck in the closed position, and that shortly after the kalk reactor had kicked in to mix... then i'm guessing the float valved opened soon after, dumping a saturated kalk solution into the tank... the tank was cloudy by the time i got to it.

long story short, lost just about all of my sps. a couple clams, a few others, maybe my leopard wrasse as well.

i was quite speechless, pulling out sps colonies that i had had for years and simply dropping them into empty salt buckets... several colonies had to be >10"... some favorites being a large bali slimer colony, a table i had grown from a dime sized frag into a colony that could span my 2 open hands... well, c'est la vie. and RIP.

while it seems like i never have time for anything anymore, though the tank was doing great with minimal effort at this point in its life... i don't think i have the time required to try restocking the tank to its previous glory.

i havent decided one way or the other 100% at this time, but it is likely i will take a hiatus from the hobby, considering the great losses i've just had.

perhaps a small tank [at my house] to house my remainig clams is in order (as i had originally planned, though i had just sold my little cube tank!)

anyhoo, i though i'd just let you all know whats been going on with me and my tank. i've met many canreef members through the hobby, and it has been great knowing you all, and having you over to see the tank, sharing ideas and experiences, both reef related and otherwise.

ciao, for now.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:52 PM

vanreefer is on a distinguished road

sorry to hear of your losses Shao.... I hope you don't throw in the towel completely
Old 07-30-2005, 08:55 PM

martym is on a distinguished road

Holly____! I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish there was something I could do. Hope you stick around though, your insight was always apprecitated. good luck
Old 07-30-2005, 09:25 PM

rickjames is on a distinguished road

Crappy deal Shao!! That's really too bad! Keep your foot in the hobby though. All the frags I bought off you are doing well... if you are ever looking for some pieces back let me know.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:15 PM

props is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to props Send a message via MSN to props

not really sure what to say dude but when your ready to restock drop by with a couple of buckets at my place we'll try to fill them up.......
Old 07-30-2005, 11:32 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Shao, I know how you feel, when I lost all my corals, I got around at looking at it as a way to start over in the direction I wanted to go, in other words I had put some stuff in there that I didn't like in hindsight so this was my opertunity to fix it. hopefully you will come to the same opinion but I do agree it would suck to have a tank you can keep where you are most of the time. maybe this is the opertunity to go to a slightly smaller tank you can have at your place say maybe a 90 gal?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:06 AM

dirtyreefer is on a distinguished road

That sucks Shao, sorry to hear what happened. Your tank was so awesome, and I'm sure you could take what Steve said and perhaps turn it into something positive.

Anyways, I hope you don't leave the hobby for good, you definitely know how to build and maintain a beautiful reef and it would be a shame if you gave that all up.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:17 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear Shao. Don't quit!! Listen to Steve, a 90 gallon tank hardly takes up any room!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:21 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

Well that is very sad to hear, I guess it is a risk we all take.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:24 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

So sorry to hear about this Shao! I do hope you stay in the hobby!

Chris