Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-01-2005, 05:15 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road
Default Please, I NEED your advice on this MH pendant!!!!

Okay, well after a little thinking and listening to my parents lecture me on all these things I keep changing on my tank... I need to reconsider a new light... a light I very much so want. I thank you all very much in advance for your help..

It's coming from Beermaster, and I just want input and advice from all you reefers, becauseyou may have more experience with lighting and maybe more experience in the buying/trading/selling hardware online, etc.. I am new to it all..

So I will be trading a brand new 2x65w PC fixture with 2 moon lights, and a couple little BTA clones, and in return I recieve a 175w MH pendant with either 11000 or 14000k bulb (possibly a brand new bulb as well) .. I was given some photos, and I'd like you all to take a look and give me your thoughts, my parents first reaction was "ew thats not nearly as nice as your aqualights upstairs" hahaha , it's not about looks... either way, they were concerned about small things, like rust on the ballast, (small amounts....) do you notice anything wrong with this? do you think this is a good idea? I can't go and see it personally because he's up by edmonton sooo..... it's up to YOU guys to help me decide... otherwise I am going for it.

on with the pics>

REALLY appreciate your guys's help...
Old 06-01-2005, 05:22 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Your are right, its really about looks. Better educate your parents on proper reef keeping. IMO, have him throw in a new bulb.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 06-01-2005, 05:26 PM

hehe... it bugs me so much that my parents even have to have a say in this... but i guess if a hole is going in their cieling.. then they can have some say. heh.

if a new bulb is put in you think i should go for it?
how abotu that rust on the ballast? bad sign? i relaly wouldn't know, as i know nothing about ballasts really...
Old 06-01-2005, 05:32 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Purely ethstetic, nothing a little sand paper and paint can't fix. I'm not a lighting guru though, maybe wait for a second opinion.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 06-01-2005, 05:39 PM

Yeah, that's what my first thought was.... I mean, in reality this is an insane deal, correct? I would almost be stupid to pass this up, and I just happen to be looking for exactly this. I would definitely get rid of the rust and such... who likes rust.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:41 PM

bluetang is on a distinguished road

I personally am not a fan of the Bell Pendent. IF feel the light is to concentrated on one area and doesnt probertly flood the tank with light like the new ones.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:45 PM

the tank size is 20g, would this be less of a problem because of that? I know not many people are fans of this type of pendant, but isn't it possible to always change that in the future to a newer, horizontal pendant?

I figure this pendant over a shallow 20g should be not too bad in dispersing the light.

Old 06-01-2005, 06:08 PM

bluetang is on a distinguished road

20g..... You should be good
Old 06-01-2005, 06:11 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Having owned Bell Pendants, I would strongly advise getting one. There are a couple of reasons.
#1 - The bulb is mounted vertically in a white reflector, which I found gives very poor light dispersion.
#2 - The above mentioned white reflector is a poor reflector.
#3 - you won't get the shimmering effect we all like so much.

All in all I did not in any way like bell pendants. I myself use horizontal pendants made by PFO. I like them a whole lot better. I got them from Premium Aquatics. The price was $129.00 US + $25.00 for shipping + $5.00 handling + $11.00 GST if I remember correctly.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 06-01-2005, 06:20 PM

hm, so it's sounding like not a good choice? it's either 175w of MH bell pendant lighting, or 2x65w PC's .... and i am not getting enough "bang" from the PC's anymore. They dont do it for me.