Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-07-2005, 07:34 PM

Azilla is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Azilla
Default Getting house sprayed???

Hey we have alot of ants in our basement where i live and i wanted to get the inside and outside spray but the problem is i have my 75gal in my living room and my sump and fuge plumbed into the laundry but in its own little spot. Now Is it possibke to get it sprayed without killin my tank or am i out of luck all together?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:37 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

sprayed with what? yes it is possable, but you will have to tent your tanks and sump and fuge and vent them with clean air.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Maybe after tenting everything, you could operate an airpump with a super long airline from outside to oxygenate the water while the toxins are in the house. Just a thought.

Anthony
Old 04-07-2005, 07:49 PM

jws444 is on a distinguished road

If it's just ants in your basement, you can get a type of ant bait that you just drop on the floor. They eat or take this back to their nests and it actually kills them all supposedly. Sounds mean, but i guess it's no different than spraying.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:00 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

You could also shut down the sump while spraying, together with the tent idea that will reduce the risk even further.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 04-08-2005, 07:48 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

First off, you can ask that the exterminator uses pet safe pesticides. You should definately tent your tank and sump, fresh air is crucial but the biggest thing is use tons of carbon, I'd reduce the water flow in the tank, keep the turbulence down to a minium but keep the sump going and have lots of carbon in there. The suggestion of ant traps is a good one, I've used them and they worked fine, I used some spray in the basement as well and with a fan going and the basement door open I didn't have an issue. The spray I used was a heavy foaming spray though, not much odor. I'd assume the more odor the more particles are floating around but if it's odor free you wouldn't notice.

Doug
Old 04-08-2005, 09:06 PM

nanosteve is on a distinguished road

Holy smokes (talk about coincidence), my wife just told me today she was calling the exterminator for carpenter ants. I have a 10 gallon nano (lucky me) and will be moving the whole tank for a few days. I don't want to, but if they want my infant daughter out for 24 hrs (10 hrs for adults), then it's not feeling like a good place for my fish.

I've checked out RC and Nano-Reef, and in similar situations, people have tented and vented (outside air), sealing with plastic, duct tape etc... Contemplated it for a few moments, but we're talking about a 10 gal. tank here... seems like a no brainer (in my situation, not yours unfortunately) to move the tank. It's going to be a tough call.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:24 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Good call Steve, I'd move a 10 as well.

Doug