Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-10-2005, 04:23 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road
Default Getting out of the hobby forever

No I'm not but I just noticed a lot of threads like this over the past year. People who have put serious time and money into their reef tanks are just up and quitting.

Jut wanted people's thoughts on why this is happening and what steps can be taken to prevent serious aquarists from quitting this amazing hobby.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Getting out of the hobby forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
... I just noticed a lot of threads like this over the past year.
Actually, I've been going about 4 or 5 years now, and this is not a recent trend. When I was in to SW aquaria 12 or so years ago, it was the same. Just check the buy and sell for used equipment. There are usually 100 ads in the paper each week.
The reasons are likely as many, with some people being frustrated, others bored, newer exciting hobbies, expanding families, etc.

I know I've recently been spending more time out on my bike, so a downgrade in tanks is my route. I guess things just "come up". Always have, always will.
Realistically we don't want it to end. That's where we get all the good deals on used stuff!!
Old 03-10-2005, 05:57 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Patience.

This seems to be one of the biggest issues. I think people up and quit because things don't go the way they want them to. They don't take into consideration that a little more effort and patience is all you need. From day 1 , every SW hobbyist should know patience is the key to success in this hobby anyways.

And I must agree with the above post. Things always come up, and it's not as if they are intended to happen this way, it just happens. There really is a lot of different reasons why people quit. But mostly, I just see people get too frustrated, and feel as if they are not recieving the rewards from the hobby as others are.

I wont lie, it's crossed my mind, more than once or twice. And I wanted to quit because of nuisance algaes.. they got the best of me! lol... but now I know better. A little more effort and patience, and I will see the reef I want to see.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:10 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

I think the people who just up and quit are those who get into the hobby for the wrong reasons in the first place. Those are the people who like the "look" of a marine tank and want one without respecting the knowlege and time required to maintain a marine ecosystem. In other words they just didn't have the passion from the start. Thats not to say this is true for everyone because things do come up regretfully, where people don't have a choice but to get out, but I'm sure this is the case for many people who try and give up.

Just my 2 cents.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 03-10-2005, 06:42 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Forever isn't always forever. When going through a major change in your life the level of stress and anxiety can make decision making difficult. When your world falls apart everything seems forever, the things you love seem to be taken away from you. The idea of trying to deal with everything on top of the origional crisis can make hobbies etc seem pointless. As things start to settle down and life begins to look sunny rather than dreary then the old love of keeping a reef can be seen for what it is again.
Don't discount or dismiss an emotional trauma, don't assume they must not have had the passion. Feeding my son comes first, a marine tank comes further on down the line.

Doug
Old 03-10-2005, 06:56 PM

wayner is on a distinguished road

Good Points Danny/Brad.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOrchidGuy
Feeding my son comes first, a marine tank comes further on down the line.
Doug
Hilarious!! I can't think of how many times the kids are whining at me..
"Dad, when's dinner? In a minute kids, I just gotta finish this tank stuff first!!"
Old 03-10-2005, 07:53 PM

hockey nut is on a distinguished road

LOL.

I can see it now..........do you want blood worms or mysis now, or wait five minutes for your dinner.

ok dad we'll wait.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Many of us in this hobby treat this as the most or one of the most important parts of our lives. That's why its called an addiction. However, hobbies, by definition, are things we do for fun & relaxation. Funding our addictions is a luxury & if priorities/work/family circumstances change, luxury items should be the first expenses (in terms of time & $$) to go. Like others above have already written, if it comes to family vs hobby, taking care of the family must take precedent.

In the past, and even today, I've always held to the position that if I'm unable or unwilling to give my pets the care/$$/attention they require, then I should sell/trade/give them to a good home. Just last month, when it got too busy with work (1 day off in 7 wks & counting), I sold my citron crested cockatoo Rupert to the local bird lady where I know he'll have a great time & get the attention he so desperately needs. I decided that I had time for my tanks, but not enough to spare taking care of him.

I sympathize with those who are trying to juggle even more by doing everything & having kids added to the mix. Hats off to those who persevere. At the same time, I will not condemn those who decide to quit this hobby for a time because they are usually making the right decision. Whether they are in over their heads or just have changed priorities, if your heart & mind is not into this addiction, let your creatures go to more suitable homes.

All that being said, it is sad when I hear or read of a dedicated hobbyist calling it quits. This sadness though is tempered by the gleam in my eye if there are great deals to be had.

Sorry for the long essay....

Anthony
Old 03-11-2005, 12:37 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I used to enjoy 3 FW plant tanks, one reef, plus a goldfish tank and a FW breeding/fry raising tank.

Now I am down to 1 reef and 2 plant tanks.

It is frustrating not having enough time to put into this hobby.