Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-21-2005, 04:06 PM

jess128 is on a distinguished road
Default new fish!!

I got a Yellow Tang 2 days ago. I wanted a new fish but didn't know what kind to get. I was looking a the tangs but thought my tank was too small. One of the guys there told me it would be ok in my 67g. I got the smallest one there was and he said it will take a while for him to outgrow the tank. So I'm thinking it's a good excuse to get a bigger tank in about 2 years! The tang's been hiding in a cave in the tank and won't come out. The lights have been off since I got him and I just put them on this morning. I'm assuming it's just taking him a while to adjust to the new environment. Hopefully he'll come out of hiding soon!
Old 02-21-2005, 04:45 PM

Tarolisol is on a distinguished road

Just like you said it will take a while for him to get used to the new tank, but as for two years for the fish to grow, it wont take anywhere near that long. It drives me nuts with fish stores say they grow slowly. They Dont. It will grow fast like almost every other fish, if the conditions are good.

Back in the good ole days
Old 02-22-2005, 06:38 AM

megatron_55 is on a distinguished road
Default I got proof!

I got proof!! I think fish "adjusts" to their environment . . .I have a 27gal tank and its been a running for about a year and 2mnths and I have . . . count it . . . 9 fish in it with about atleast 30 diff species of corals. Two are tangs . . . one hippo and one yellow. . . up to date my yellow tang is just a tad bit bigger than a toonie and my blue tang is about a toonie size ... at max I say they grew a quarter inch. . . they haven't grown much and I've been feeding them normaly (3 meals a day) with hikari blood worms, mysis, brine shrimp and nori dried seaweed. . . I have my additives such as live phytoplankton, calcium, iodine, reef trace supplements... I also have an aquac remora pro for skimmer and a 12 gallon refugium . . . but then again thats my own experience . .
Old 02-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation
Default Re: I got proof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron_55
I got proof!! I think fish "adjusts" to their environment . . .I have a 27gal tank and its been a running for about a year and 2mnths and I have . . . count it . . . 9 fish in it with about atleast 30 diff species of corals. Two are tangs . . . one hippo and one yellow. . . up to date my yellow tang is just a tad bit bigger than a toonie and my blue tang is about a toonie size ... at max I say they grew a quarter inch. . . they haven't grown much and I've been feeding them normaly (3 meals a day) with hikari blood worms, mysis, brine shrimp and nori dried seaweed. . . I have my additives such as live phytoplankton, calcium, iodine, reef trace supplements... I also have an aquac remora pro for skimmer and a 12 gallon refugium . . . but then again thats my own experience . .
I dont believe large fish "adjust " to their enviroment. They live in their enviroment if thats an only alternative for them but thats about it. Why would we put fish that require much larger tanks, in small tanks, when their are so many beautiful fish of a smaller size and swimming range? Fish that much prefer hanging out in the rocks than swimming in the open?

Adult yellow tangs, in aquariums, can grow pretty large and for sure a hippo is much to large of a fish for smaller tanks. They require lots of swimming space and water high in oxygen. My friends huge yellow and his still young adult Regal, {hippo} are both huge, very thick bodied and growing still, even though the yellow is now 5yrs. old. They reside in his 180g.

One thing I never mentioned in the 15g and 33g yellow tang posts, but has been mentioned many times on the board by others, is how aggressive adult yellow tangs will become. This is certainly more pronounced in smaller tanks.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:24 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

You have two tangs in a 29 gallon! Eventualy they will outgrow that tank no matter how much their growth is stunted, or they will die. Where's Albert when you need to explain how this works.
Anyway, it makes me feel a little more secure with my decision to put one small tang in my tank.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 02-22-2005, 04:52 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan
Default Re: I got proof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron_55

Are you wanting to be flamed. I can hear the tang police coming already man are you in for it.

Fish dont grow to their enviroment. THe reson your fish are probaly so small is malnourishment. Lets say you have a fish that get 24 inches when adult if you put him in a 12 inch tank he is still going to out grow it. I would take those tangs out before the peole on this board start voicing their opinions and you stunt your tangs (they probaly already are)
Old 02-22-2005, 10:40 PM

Rikko is on a distinguished road

1) German Shepherd in a cardboard box. Think about it.

2) If that's true then animals in general ought to be able to control their adult size based on surroundings rather than nutrition and sanitation. People in apartments should therefore be smaller than people who live in houses or farms.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:09 PM

kari is on a distinguished road

Could be right. Our house has 9 ft ceilings and my next door neighbours has 8 ft. Both of them living in the other house are definately not as tall as me or my wife. I think my dog is taller then their dog. The bird is in the boat aswell.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:28 AM

clownchick22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari
Could be right. Our house has 9 ft ceilings and my next door neighbours has 8 ft. Both of them living in the other house are definately not as tall as me or my wife. I think my dog is taller then their dog. The bird is in the boat aswell.
lol... this is getting to be a funny post.. except for the fact that those tangs are cramped

Well, I grew up in a large house, and I'm 5'2".. now my own place has 9ft ceilings, so does that mean I will grow taller lol hope so!, but then I would have to throw out all my 3" heels
Old 02-23-2005, 03:20 AM

megatron_55 is on a distinguished road
Default Bla Bla

Bla Bla Bla . . . not to offend anyone but my post CLEARLY says "I THINK!" . . . . . . thanks for coming out