Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-30-2004, 08:55 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road
Default Goofy clowns

So I decided to set up my 20H, and take down the 15. I figured my true percs were doing to much digging, so I went barebottom. Since the clowns were not hosting with anything I thought a RBTA would be in order. The tank also housed an Open Brain because my Flagfin Angel was too fond of it. So the clowns had two choices for a host. WhenI put them into the tank they right away had a look at the RBTA. The following pictures show their choice.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 12-30-2004, 09:04 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I'm sorry but boy that figures...

PS. In the first pic it looks like the boxfish/cowfish is hosting in the RBTA ...
Old 12-30-2004, 09:14 PM

You are right Tony, I saw that cowfish in there, so that is the picture I published. Before anyone mentions the obvious. I am not done with them yet. This is actually perfect in that it will allow the anemone to settle in. When that is done I will of course remove the brain to lessen the choice. I know the RBTA is not a natural host, but the brain is even less so.

Old 12-31-2004, 02:38 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

What does host RBTAs? I've had mine for 5 days now and I've never seen my ocellaris pair even look at it.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 12-31-2004, 03:27 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

In captivity, the answer is "it doesn't matter." Clownfish may take to non-natural partners.

My ocellaris hosted in BTA's for a few years when they were in the same tank. It did take some 6-7 weeks (or more; I don't remember anymore, this is going back some 6 years ago!) for them to go into them.

But to faithfully answer your question, in the wild, the following species are associated with Entacmaea quadricolor:

• Amphriprion akindynos
    A. allardi
    A. bicinctus
    A. chrysopterus
    A. clarkii
    A. ephippium
    A. frenatus
    A. mccullochi
    A. melanopus
    A. omanensis
    A. rubrocinctus
    A. tricinctus
    Premnas biaculeatus
Source: Fautin & Allen

In a pinch, clarkii clowns pretty much host in all of the hosting anemone species.

Maroons and BTA's always make a nice display IMO.

It's too bad that most of the species associated with BTA's tend to be larger, more aggressive clowns. You have to really like clownfish!
Old 12-31-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Re: reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot
What does host RBTAs? I've had mine for 5 days now and I've never seen my ocellaris pair even look at it.
Five days is nothing , I have had one RBTA for more than a month, and the Ocellaris still host with the Closed Brain, and Caulastrea.

Old 12-31-2004, 03:51 PM

Default reply

Well, as Bob said it probly best for the anemone that its left alone for a while. I'm not worried about it, I was hoping that they'd pick the RBTA over my bleached GBTA that lives under a rock.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Old 12-31-2004, 03:57 PM

My guess is that the odds are that if they pick one, they'll likely pick both, and swim back and forth between them. In my case anyhow that's what happened.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:05 PM

Default reply

In Richtg's tank they have chosen a torch coral over both his RBTA and GBTA. The torch was there first so that must account for some of their bias.

Old 12-31-2004, 04:07 PM

They obviously haven't read the books. Silly illiterate fish.