Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 02-24-2015, 06:39 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road
Default Where to buy sand in Calgary

Any suggestions where the best place to buy sand for a reeftank with shallow sandbed in Calgary right now?

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 02-24-2015, 12:18 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

I dont like to support them, but pisces always has a good selection of sand. Lots of different brands and grain choices.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 02-24-2015, 03:01 PM

CM125 is on a distinguished road

Whats wrong with pisces lol? And yes they have a great selection of sand
Old 02-24-2015, 04:23 PM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

I just go to pets mart.
-concept built 3'x2'x22" full starfire tank with starfire 1 piece eurobrace and built in wave box, 1 jebao wp25, 4 mp10wes, ati led Hybrid 8 bulb fixture, csc 250 skimmer, Magdrive 18 return pump, apex lite, custom sump from concepts, biopellet reactor and carbon and gfo,bubble magnus doser and jbj ato, custom acrylic frag tank with 6 bulb t5
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70851
Old 02-24-2015, 09:18 PM

Ulmo is on a distinguished road

Runnings bare bottom myself but I saw a variety of sand at Big Als
Old 02-24-2015, 09:52 PM

CM125 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy View Post
I just go to pets mart.
is this satire sir?
Old 02-25-2015, 12:41 AM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM125 View Post
Whats wrong with pisces lol? And yes they have a great selection of sand
Personal preferance I guess. 90% of their staff has zero clue what they're talking about, their livestock tanks are pathetically small and they charge outrageous prices on common livestock....to name a few. But the good thing is that they always have stuff in stock. So thats a plus.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 03-08-2015, 05:57 AM

Sackler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
Personal preferance I guess. 90% of their staff has zero clue what they're talking about, their livestock tanks are pathetically small and they charge outrageous prices on common livestock....to name a few. But the good thing is that they always have stuff in stock. So thats a plus.
I don't understand the bad rep Pisces gets. You are right to say 90% of their staff don't know anything. I think it is what you can expect going to a departement pet store vs. a marine specialized store. At the end of the day I think that most of us can say we have had bad advice from many stores, and it is really worth doing your own research.
In my opinion though their livestock is worth supporting. I guess opinions may vary but I think it is important to support a sustainable, short term collection chain. I feel like there is some bad reputations related our hobby as far as collection and I don't mind paying extra to support a positve image. And at the end of the day I think you can get a healthier fish than many other suppliers around calgary. I can share more of what I understand if you are really interested. I think it is important to figure out if the monetary savings are really worth it.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:49 AM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackler View Post
I don't understand the bad rep Pisces gets. You are right to say 90% of their staff don't know anything. I think it is what you can expect going to a departement pet store vs. a marine specialized store. At the end of the day I think that most of us can say we have had bad advice from many stores, and it is really worth doing your own research.
In my opinion though their livestock is worth supporting. I guess opinions may vary but I think it is important to support a sustainable, short term collection chain. I feel like there is some bad reputations related our hobby as far as collection and I don't mind paying extra to support a positve image. And at the end of the day I think you can get a healthier fish than many other suppliers around calgary. I can share more of what I understand if you are really interested. I think it is important to figure out if the monetary savings are really worth it.
I don't support pisces the same as I don't support wai's. The prices at both stores are crazy on livestock. Go to wai's he charges $40 for a harlequin shrimp go to pisces they want $50 for the same shrimp , go across the street from wai's to oceans and they have the same shrimp for $25 I could understand $5 more but double the price? Same with a Halloween hermit $15 at wais at oceans $8 . Not to mention I don't like buying from pisces as they do not maintain the systems , they literally have tons of aptasia in every single tank would take no time at all to remedy that issue in those small setups they have with little to no liverock in the tanks. They have plenty of employees to maintain systems. I even wrote them an email after leaving there the last time . The aptasia was overwhelming the lady that responded to my email saying they use them for educating customers lol . Then admitted the problem is out of control . I clearly see why they get a bad rep , if you are going to charge upwards of double for the same livestock the store better be immaculate . If you shop at those stores cool but I prefer to support the stores that price fair and have nicely maintained systems , and are friendly Ocean's , Gold's, Concepts , Reef Wonderland if I have lots of money . Pisces, Big Al's, Wai's I avoid buying livestock from but if you are looking for dry good's pisces is probably a decent choice for a good selection of overpriced dry good's .
Old 03-08-2015, 05:09 PM

Sackler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer Juice View Post
I don't support pisces the same as I don't support wai's. The prices at both stores are crazy on livestock. Go to wai's he charges $40 for a harlequin shrimp go to pisces they want $50 for the same shrimp , go across the street from wai's to oceans and they have the same shrimp for $25 I could understand $5 more but double the price? Same with a Halloween hermit $15 at wais at oceans $8 . Not to mention I don't like buying from pisces as they do not maintain the systems , they literally have tons of aptasia in every single tank would take no time at all to remedy that issue in those small setups they have with little to no liverock in the tanks. They have plenty of employees to maintain systems. I even wrote them an email after leaving there the last time . The aptasia was overwhelming the lady that responded to my email saying they use them for educating customers lol . Then admitted the problem is out of control . I clearly see why they get a bad rep , if you are going to charge upwards of double for the same livestock the store better be immaculate . If you shop at those stores cool but I prefer to support the stores that price fair and have nicely maintained systems , and are friendly Ocean's , Gold's, Concepts , Reef Wonderland if I have lots of money . Pisces, Big Al's, Wai's I avoid buying livestock from but if you are looking for dry good's pisces is probably a decent choice for a good selection of overpriced dry good's .
I understand. But the reason that some stores (I know pisces for sure. i will have to ask wais and big als next time I'm in) have alot higher prices is not because they markup higher. In fact i am willing to bet the markup between many stores in Calgary is similar.
The expensive way of getting fish is to deal with one wholesaler. This wholesaler scouts out all of its suppliers. The suppliers are from around the world, and are often mac certified. They are offered a very fair price for their livestock thus they can take the time to care for their fish properly, and collect sustainably. They will fish an area for a day, then return to shore and send their catch off. The wholesaler, who is in a central hub that can be shipped to quickly (often in Los Angeles) then takes in the catch and holds the fish in their tanks. If you have seen the tv show "tanked" where they get their fish is what it looks like. The fish are held until they have recovered and are healthy and eating. They are then shipped to retailers. At this point the shipping was split into two parts and thus we have lost less fish. We also can get livestock from many different countries at one time.
The cheap way to do it is to deal directly with a supplier. In order to keep costs down, they will go out and catch fish, and hold them in a boat for a few days. Often they use cyanide to catch the fish. It is very easy to catch fish with cyanide because they get asphyxiated, collected and the ones that survive are kept. I have read a study that suggests that cyanide can be held and released from a fishes body for its entire life.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-01/sp/index.php
After these fish have been in the boat for a few days, they are brought to shore, packed and sent to a middle man who opens the boxes and puts new heat pads in them. From there, they are sent to the retailers. Thee total time between being collected and being into a tank and be up to 6 days.

I think it is important to note that adjusted for inflation, the pricing at the some stores in Calgary is the same as the prices at live aquaria. This is because live aquaria is just like the wholesaler in the first method, however they sell retail vs. selling to a retail store