Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2015, 06:49 AM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackler View Post
I don't understand the bad rep Pisces gets. You are right to say 90% of their staff don't know anything. I think it is what you can expect going to a departement pet store vs. a marine specialized store. At the end of the day I think that most of us can say we have had bad advice from many stores, and it is really worth doing your own research.
In my opinion though their livestock is worth supporting. I guess opinions may vary but I think it is important to support a sustainable, short term collection chain. I feel like there is some bad reputations related our hobby as far as collection and I don't mind paying extra to support a positve image. And at the end of the day I think you can get a healthier fish than many other suppliers around calgary. I can share more of what I understand if you are really interested. I think it is important to figure out if the monetary savings are really worth it.
I don't support pisces the same as I don't support wai's. The prices at both stores are crazy on livestock. Go to wai's he charges $40 for a harlequin shrimp go to pisces they want $50 for the same shrimp , go across the street from wai's to oceans and they have the same shrimp for $25 I could understand $5 more but double the price? Same with a Halloween hermit $15 at wais at oceans $8 . Not to mention I don't like buying from pisces as they do not maintain the systems , they literally have tons of aptasia in every single tank would take no time at all to remedy that issue in those small setups they have with little to no liverock in the tanks. They have plenty of employees to maintain systems. I even wrote them an email after leaving there the last time . The aptasia was overwhelming the lady that responded to my email saying they use them for educating customers lol . Then admitted the problem is out of control . I clearly see why they get a bad rep , if you are going to charge upwards of double for the same livestock the store better be immaculate . If you shop at those stores cool but I prefer to support the stores that price fair and have nicely maintained systems , and are friendly Ocean's , Gold's, Concepts , Reef Wonderland if I have lots of money . Pisces, Big Al's, Wai's I avoid buying livestock from but if you are looking for dry good's pisces is probably a decent choice for a good selection of overpriced dry good's .