Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 09-11-2004, 04:22 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Algae from H***

Christy, here's the "mystery" algae. Does this look like dinos to you?

And here's the snail, battling the evil algae, doing a heck of a job.

Old 09-11-2004, 04:32 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Ya know, you get used to looking at this after having it so long, but then seeing it posted here in pics makes me realize just how thick this stuff is!!
Old 09-11-2004, 04:42 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Looks like a little like dinos to me. Mine was a little different, it would sort of start off caked over things like that, but it would send off little streamers into the water column and then collect at the water surface in slower current areas in a sort of bubbly froth.

Does it disappear completely (or almost completely) at night and then come back the next day?

Maybe a sea hare would take to it? I had a refugium with the exact stuff (I assumed it was dinos but not 100% certain), and he cleaned it up within a few days. Of course, since it behaved like dinos it would come back.

I still have that sea hare, although I don't know if he'd still eat the stuff. He's stopped eating caulerpa and sargassum (he used to keep that stuff in check), but now that he's discovered TheYummyNori(tm) that's pretty much come to a halt. At least I don't have to worry about running out of food.

But if you see one for sale maybe it's something to try. As long as he doesn't get all aristocratic on you like mine did...
Old 09-11-2004, 06:21 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering if that isn't dinoflagellates growing on top of some other algae?? It looks like I have the same algae as you now though (whatever it may be), it has started up in the last week or so. Not quite as thick, thats crazy I did have the classic brown bubbly goo previously but since my last lights out, I have noticed that there is a thicker mat of brown algae forming on either side of the tank and the overflow. It hasn't progressed to the back glass yet. The bubbles are densely packed like your pictures show but don't have any stringy goo on them. I've done a few searches but am not having any success in identifying this algae. The fact that your astrea is eating it is a definite indicator that either it isn't dinoflagellates or is a less toxic type (if there is such a thing). Either that or you have a SUPERASTREA!!

Thanks for the pics. A friend of mine is an algologist, maybe she has some books or can point us in the right direction. I'll try taking a sample and having a look under the scope as well.

Christy

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:03 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Brad,

That has to be the most frightening stuff I have seen, besides the bubble algae outbreak in my 37g Have you tried turkey basting it to get it into the water column so your skimmer can remove it? Also, if it will go into the water column, maybe you could try adding some kind of mechanical filtration, like a couple of AC 500s to remove it? Geez, I'd be freaked if that were in my tank

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 09-11-2004, 03:39 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

bleach would work good? darn I didn't realize it was that bad from the way you talked.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly
Brad,

That has to be the most frightening stuff I have seen, besides the bubble algae outbreak in my 37g Have you tried turkey basting it to get it into the water column so your skimmer can remove it? Also, if it will go into the water column, maybe you could try adding some kind of mechanical filtration, like a couple of AC 500s to remove it? Geez, I'd be freaked if that were in my tank
Bev, if I blast it off the rocks, I can watch it grow back by the end of the day. Leaving it alone seems to be the only way to stop it from growing even further. When I basted it, I had floss in the overflow and that removed bunches. I cleaned the skimmer every other day. I've scraped the back wall clean only to have it back like the pics in 3 days. It's on most of the rockwork, all the pumps and even grows on the snail!
The only sign of success is that one little snail. where it eats the algae, so far none has regrown. If all astreas can eat this stuff, a small army might actually make a dent in the algae.
On a good note, the corals are doing better than they've done in 10 months.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:18 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Geez, Brad I understand Bulletsworld had something similar and she got it under control somehow. Maybe PM her for her method of removal....

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 09-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly
Geez, Brad I understand Bulletsworld had something similar and she got it under control somehow. Maybe PM her for her method of removal....
I'm starting to think Steve's idea above might do the trick!
Old 09-12-2004, 03:22 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

I have a cerith type of snail that appears to eat cyano, they also breed like rabbits. I could probably find you a few hundred of them if you want.