Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 06-17-2014, 05:28 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Wood or aluminum?

I now need to suspend my light box from 2 inverted "L" brackets. I can get these made out of aluminum, but not quite the look I'm going for.

If I use 2" square hard wood, what are the chances it's going to bend from the weight? Light is about 35 pounds. I can brace the top foot, but the 2 feet behind the tank would be just straight pieces. I'd prefer they didn't bend eventually.

Thoughts?
Old 06-17-2014, 05:33 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default hangers

if you don't want to see any bracing you could router /dado the top and back of the wood and screw in heavy duty angle .it would hold the weight as the angle will push into the wall stopping the arm from bending down
Old 06-17-2014, 05:37 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocus View Post
if you don't want to see any bracing you could router /dado the top and back of the wood and screw in heavy duty angle .it would hold the weight as the angle will push into the wall stopping the arm from bending down
I thought of that, but my routering skills are a bit lacking These will be attached to the back of the stand too, not the wall. So top of stand to top of the tank (at least) would need support. Unless the wood would be strong enough? I suspect not tho..
Old 06-17-2014, 06:56 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default hangers

if your hangers are above eye level it wouldn't matter abot the top of the hanger.run the back of the wood through a table saw with some stacked blades for a thicker cut,moving the guide closer to the blades each cut;just about an 1/2 inch past the angle ,and at the same thickness.if your attaching to the stand make sure it starts at the base,and it is screwed in the base and top of the stand
Old 06-17-2014, 07:25 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

You can get 1" square al or steel tube bent to your specs as well.
If steel, you could have it powder coated for anti corrosion
Old 06-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Just a guy..

I have a guy locally that can weld aluminum for me. I'll probably go for 2" square tube for a beefier look. It just won't finish as well as wood with the welds. I have 2x4 mounts built into the stand already, so mounting the arms is taken care of.
I would hang it from the ceiling, but I have set the tank up in a temp location before I move it into position and I don't want to suspend it twice.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:36 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Brad, I can't remember, do you have a table saw? or access to one?

I like the idea of metal, doesn't have to be aluminum if your going to paint it, and there are lots of paints out there that you can get any look you want really.

but if you are set on a wood look you could go with 1" AL or steel tube and then dado a 1" channel in your wood to conceal it in the wood. now I would do this for you, but you never come to visit

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Just a guy..

Nope, no table saw. It's a limiting factor
Old 06-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I did aluminum and then painted it black. It hides the welds nicely but is a bit dramatic. Then again its only seen from the "tank room" side of things....

I found anything with wood gets covered in salt and swells a little from the moisture. Then again, I do have some seriously splashy a$$hats for fish...

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:41 PM

FishingGoalie is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about acrylic? I saw a couple years ago in cayman islands a light hung with acrylic and when light went through it it was pretty much invisble so it looked like the light was floating. I don't know if you would be able to do it with the way you want to hang your light. Its still a pretty cool idea though.

On a separate note I agree with the guys saying to router it in then add aluminum where you can't see it.

Good Luck !!