Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 07-27-2004, 05:00 PM

Scavenger is on a distinguished road
Default Prizm at full throttle.

Hi, I didn't quite know what forum to put this post so I figured DIY.
Anyway I needed a cheap skimmer quick so I bought a prizm from J & L.
The big negative I've heard about this skimmer is you can't run the pump at full throttle or it just overflows. I read a post about modifying the prizm and thought I'd do that until I can get a better skimmer. OK now I'm just rambling on. Here's the way I run mine at full throttle and get great amounts of dark, dark skimmate. Instead of resting the prizm on the aquarium lip, I inserted a 1.5" riser (piece of wood on aquarium lip) so the skimmer sits up a little higher. This increases the head a bit and I can open the throttle all the way and get some great flow. Very simple solution to a very simple problem. I hope it works for anyone else using this skimmer.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:18 AM

nanite is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to nanite
Default Re: Prizm at full throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavenger
Hi, I didn't quite know what forum to put this post so I figured DIY.
Anyway I needed a cheap skimmer quick so I bought a prizm from J & L.
The big negative I've heard about this skimmer is you can't run the pump at full throttle or it just overflows. I read a post about modifying the prizm and thought I'd do that until I can get a better skimmer. OK now I'm just rambling on. Here's the way I run mine at full throttle and get great amounts of dark, dark skimmate. Instead of resting the prizm on the aquarium lip, I inserted a 1.5" riser (piece of wood on aquarium lip) so the skimmer sits up a little higher. This increases the head a bit and I can open the throttle all the way and get some great flow. Very simple solution to a very simple problem. I hope it works for anyone else using this skimmer.
Hi Scavenger

Well i've brought a secondhand Prizm deluxe skimmer, but i havent got it going yet, stll getting some equipment together before i get the tank.

regards from Len
Old 08-22-2004, 01:56 AM

beaker020 is on a distinguished road

all you've done by increasing the head (actually; lift) is reduce the flow just the same as if you were closing the valve. The skimmer doesnt run any better, it just makes you feel better because the valve is open like it 'should' be. A better approach is to make a short riser for the collection cup out of PVC or ABS. This will allow you to run the valve full open AND get full flow at the same time.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:15 AM

hockey nut is on a distinguished road

Hi . My prizm sucks badly. And I don't mean literaly. The spinning blade makes so much noise you can't be in the same room as the tank. I've cleand the skimmer many times and very recently and I still can't find out why it's making this horrible sound. I wish I never bought this thing. My old cheap seaclone was better. Not something I would recomend.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:21 PM

Scavenger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker020
all you've done by increasing the head (actually; lift) is reduce the flow just the same as if you were closing the valve. The skimmer doesnt run any better, it just makes you feel better because the valve is open like it 'should' be. A better approach is to make a short riser for the collection cup out of PVC or ABS. This will allow you to run the valve full open AND get full flow at the same time.
Hi, I agree with you that what I've done is increase the head. But also, the pump is spinning the same speed and drawing the same amount of air just drawing less water. I find the change in water to air ratio is what increased the performance. I can definatly see the differance in the foam in the collection cup. I have nice dark and dry skimmate.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:24 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply to hockey nut

I think the reason your skimmer may be so loud is because the impeller shaft is probly bent, causing a loud vibration. If you can get a replacment impeller this should solve your problem. I have a seaclone as well, check out the forum I posted on mods for it.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 08-23-2004, 03:14 PM

beaker020 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi, I agree with you that what I've done is increase the head. But also, the pump is spinning the same speed and drawing the same amount of air just drawing less water.
This is exactly the same effect as if you had closed the valve a little more. Closing the valve also restricts the water flow, the same as raising the lift . The pump still spins at the same speed and since the valve is before the air intake; causes more air to be inducted. The increase in performance you see may be due to 1.)the skimmer is properly adjusted now or 2.)the skimmer is better broken in now.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:30 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker020
Quote:
Hi, I agree with you that what I've done is increase the head. But also, the pump is spinning the same speed and drawing the same amount of air just drawing less water.
This is exactly the same effect as if you had closed the valve a little more. Closing the valve also restricts the water flow, the same as raising the lift . The pump still spins at the same speed and since the valve is before the air intake; causes more air to be inducted. The increase in performance you see may be due to 1.)the skimmer is properly adjusted now or 2.)the skimmer is better broken in now.
THAT'S A FYNDHORN ELF IN YOUR AVATAR!!!!!