Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-12-2014, 08:38 PM

mark is on a distinguished road
Default Baffles anymore?

Other day was putting the skimmer back and always been little tight so was thinking really don't need that bubble trap on the drains anymore since converting to Herbie. Now just read spit.fires build and noted his/wardogs comment about baffles.

Figure I could do a bubble trap about the size of a 2 litre pop bottle for skimmer and pull all the baffles or just keep the last "over" baffle. Either way would be gaining room in my skimmer/return section. Might be loosing some gas exchange but another plus for running a Herbie.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:33 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Other day was putting the skimmer back and always been little tight so was thinking really don't need that bubble trap on the drains anymore since converting to Herbie. Now just read spit.fires build and noted his/wardogs comment about baffles.

Figure I could do a bubble trap about the size of a 2 litre pop bottle for skimmer and pull all the baffles or just keep the last "over" baffle. Either way would be gaining room in my skimmer/return section. Might be loosing some gas exchange but another plus for running a Herbie.
My sump just have a 3 baffle bubble trap before the return and that's all. Even bubble traps wouldn't be needed with a good skimmer that doesn't throw too much micros. I do prefer atleast one baffle/bubble trap in the sump so that the ATO can more quickly understand the change in water level.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 01-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I haven't had baffles in my sumps for years. I run the overflow into a filter sock and the skimmer effluent is at the opposite end of the sump from the return so bubbles don't return to the tank.

Now if I could just do something about the fish stirring the detritus in the tank the water would actually be half decently clear

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.