Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Banned

Basile is on a distinguished road
Red face am i being a Sissy

Ok i have this rock work that weighs about 60lb, now i know are tanks holds thousands of pounds of water, i have a 150G . And i'll add sand and about 180 lb of rocks. But the sculpture i made has a "V" shape as you can see in the picture. I've built a support structure that is now failling and craking all over. That in mind i'm getting worried that the weight is too great on that one spot. If i cut the stands legs and put the structure directly on the sand, do you think its going to be ok, or just get rid of the whole feet all together and put the 16"X7" base rock directly on the glass be a better choice. 60Lb on an area 16"X7" is that too much for any glass. Any thoughs. Some of you must have done structure i'm waiting for your inputs thanks in advance. Maybe i'm over thinking this, just let me know.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:34 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

That's sweet

Consider drilling holes and using acrylic rod to hold together
Old 10-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
That's sweet

Consider drilling holes and using acrylic rod to hold together
I dont know if your joking but if you look at the picture thats exactly what i did actually nylon rods with nuts and further more its all cemented , the last one will have a stalactite comming down.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:14 PM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

As long as the bottom glass of your tank is supported on plywood or similar you will be fine with that structure.

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:31 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I'm on iPhone so pics small. I though the support was a PVC piece.
Would be better if it were hidden though
Old 10-14-2013, 03:51 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

The rock will obviously weight a lot less in water, the weight of the water displaced can be subtracted from the rock weight to get the apparent. The density of rock varies but it's often not much heavier than the water itself. Actually recently seen a piece of rock float in a tank So basically don't be concerned about the weight of your structure on the glass, it's also much stronger than the plastic PVC frame you built.

The structure you made looks awesome btw.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I'm on iPhone so pics small. I though the support was a PVC piece.
Would be better if it were hidden though

It will be hidden under 2 " of sand and the support right under the rock will be foamed and then sanded with resin epoxy. Nothing will show.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
The rock will obviously weight a lot less in water, the weight of the water displaced can be subtracted from the rock weight to get the apparent. The density of rock varies but it's often not much heavier than the water itself. Actually recently seen a piece of rock float in a tank So basically don't be concerned about the weight of your structure on the glass, it's also much stronger than the plastic PVC frame you built.

The structure you made looks awesome btw.
Thanks, i've got other sculptures on my thread , take a look; http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98466
Old 10-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Basile, I too am planning a custom rock sculpture in my build. I would suggest removing your pvc base and replacing it with 4 or 5 rock feet. I was planning to use all rock with a nylon or pvc skeleton as you have done.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Basile, I too am planning a custom rock sculpture in my build. I would suggest removing your pvc base and replacing it with 4 or 5 rock feet. I was planning to use all rock with a nylon or pvc skeleton as you have done.
Their's only one problem it doesn't solve the focused weight problem, the 60lb will be focused on these two rocks foot print. No , i've just got an idea, Lowes has pre-cut plexiglass that i can buy. Then i'll rebuild another support system with 1" pvc this time and still put eveything on a plexiglass who'll spread the total weight along its entire area of the panel and protecting the glass at the same time. Thanks for your inputs guys.