Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > BC Interiors

Old 12-06-2009, 09:14 PM

sarzeff is on a distinguished road

Me too..I just talked to him as well and he said he's having trouble getting the guy in to set it up...but has it ready.

Also a Total Pet is coming in to the old Lordco building. I believe they do marine. I might be working there
Old 12-12-2009, 08:52 PM

robzilla is on a distinguished road

good to hear we'll have more choice in the kootenays for pet supplies
Old 12-13-2009, 05:31 PM

Honestly I am kind of hoping that with the new Total Pet and Petopia that Kootenay Critters will close or they will have to seriously smarten up. I won't be shopping there any more. I have tried a bit but got fed up with the poor service.

A few weeks ago I went in and was looking around, I mentioned that one of the chromis' I had bought there had died. I wasn't expecting to get a refund or a new one or anything since I'd been told their policy was nothing on salt water fish. The lady there got immediately flustered and super defensive, asking me a billion questions. She finially went off to talk to Jim, and the two of them started arguing loudly in the back room, not even about my "issue" it sounded like. This went on for a few minutes, we kind of hung out to see if maybe they would end up doing something for me, then the two came out into the store and continues arguing loudly. It was so embarassing and rude and unprofessional that we just left.

I went back in a few days later because I needed some hermit crab shells...walked in Jim said hi then picked up the phone while I wandered around for a quite a while. I had some questions but he ignored me, I would have bought stuff but ended up leaving instead.

Guys at Petopia are awesome. Jan gave me a free bag of kitty litter the other day to try a new kind for my kitten.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Makes me wonder if the personal relationship between those two at Kootenay Critters will be the end of the store, not the business itself. I too have experienced a similar event while browsing around in there. They must not have a clue that anyone can even hear them, and the lady IMO isn't all there if you know what I mean. They did make a good attempt with there refurbished salt tank display, but with no labels and prices listed they aren't going to get my business. Every time I ask the guy how much something is, he takes 10 minutes to find out, and the numbers seem to fly out of left field. $45.00 for a bi-colored pseudo-chromis!! Have they ever done a price comparison?

I have heard of them giving a couple of good deals on some corals from time to time, but that is likely a result of them not knowing what to charge. Too bad they never under charge me for anything. Oh well, there's my rant about them. I noticed Total pet is coming along nicely, I'll have to stop by there and check them out soon.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 12-14-2009, 02:04 PM

Yeah I'm not sure if Total Pet is going to have salt. I hope Petopia gets theirs going soon. I like those guys alot. I might be working a bit at Total Pet but maybe not, my current boss offered me full time and a raise so I'm sticking around there.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:21 PM

chris121277 is on a distinguished road

I totaly agree with Danny on there pricing.......everytime I ask about a price he seems to just make it up on the spot.....in fact one time I asked for a price he started shuffling threw his papers, then ask me to give him a minute.....I walked back to the new tank area and was watching him, he stared at the celing for a few seconds then came back and told me that a blue tang was $125!!!!!

I have seen them doing worse then arguing in the store but probebly shouldn't post that part in the forum.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:24 PM

Don't you always wonder if they google themselves and find this online? haha if they do they aren't learning from it....I think they just had been the only guys in the area for so long they could get away with being rude but not any more.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:38 PM

Well, hopefully there not the only ones for long......and I don't think that they do google them selves, other wise they would have shaped up along time ago.
Or maybe they just don't care, the first time I ever went in there he told me that....
"I know my salt stuff is expensive, but if you want it you'll pay it"
Old 12-14-2009, 03:13 PM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

woulden't get your hope up too much for TP, i have worked at the Kamloops total pet. apparently that TP has the best salt section, and i think their last employee to give a damn has left, and it has gone rather downhill from there. i remember selling newly arrived saltwater fish and we basically did the same thing just looked at what it cost off the order sheet, and then made up some number, often after a few moments of staring blankly into something . at least we eventually made labels but if you asked me the other salt guy then the manager what the price was of a new fish you could sometimes get 3 different prices . and im not sure but my manager assured me that if i thought our salt section looked neglected that kelowna and 100 mile house were much worse. that really never made me feel better .

Last edited by FitoPharmer; 12-14-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:19 PM

Great.......