Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-19-2012, 04:14 AM

syncro is on a distinguished road
Default Quarantine: ammonia problems

I am getting increasing ammonia in 5g quarantine tank holding a clownfish and several snails. Current ammonia is about 0.035ppm.

- 5% water change (almost) daily
- 75% water change today
- large sponge filter seeded for 3 weeks in sump
- daily removal of uneaten food
- nearly daily addition of Aquavitro Alpha ammonia binder

Clownfish appears health, active and eating. Has good coloration and no sign of frayed fins.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:33 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Is it possible that the product that you use to neutralize ammonia is still giving your a false reading?

You can put some pieces of liverock in there if you are not treating with copper. It will be better for filtration than a sponge filter. Not sure that was long enough to be properly seeded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncro View Post
I am getting increasing ammonia in 5g quarantine
- nearly daily addition of Aquavitro Alpha ammonia binder

Any suggestions?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:42 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

prodibio "start"..... been hearing really good things about it.....you "supposed" to be able to put fish directly in a new setup (no cycle) when using this stuff.....I cant see why it couldnt be used to help maintain ammonia and nitrates in a QT
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 01-19-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
prodibio "start"..... been hearing really good things about it.....you "supposed" to be able to put fish directly in a new setup (no cycle) when using this stuff.....I cant see why it couldnt be used to help maintain ammonia and nitrates in a QT
Thanks! The Stop Ammo chemical in Prodibio StartUp is likely an ammonia binder like Prime/Alpha/AmmoLock. Though none of the products list their ingredients so it is hard to tell.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

In my hospital tank (tank with no filtration, just some PVC pipe for hidey holes) I assume that I will have to do 50% water changes daily, that's why it's better to have a smaller tank (I use a 20g)

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 01-19-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
In my hospital tank (tank with no filtration, just some PVC pipe for hidey holes) I assume that I will have to do 50% water changes daily, that's why it's better to have a smaller tank (I use a 20g)
Yikes, I can see why so few people run quarantine tanks. I just did another 50% water change and added some Alpha so I'll see how it looks in the morning. Thanks marie.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:05 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yikes, I can see why so few people run quarantine tanks. I just did another 50% water change and added some Alpha so I'll see how it looks in the morning. Thanks marie.

I have a "liverock" tank and a hospital tank. The liverock tank is where corals and new fish go so I can keep an eye on them, if there is problems they go into the hospital tank for treatment.
I'm constantly telling my family that the liverock tank is not not a tank, it's a storage/quarantine place and therefore doesn't count.....................they do not yet believe me

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 01-19-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
The liverock tank is where corals and new fish go so I can keep an eye on them, if there is problems they go into the hospital tank for treatment.
How often do you do water changes in your live rock tank?

Quote:
it's a storage/quarantine place and therefore doesn't count.....................they do not yet believe me
Ha, I agree!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:36 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

That is strange. I never ever had any ammonia problem in quarantine. I use a 20 gallons with a few good pieces of liverock and never a trace of ammonia in this. I use good porous Totoka liverock that I take from either my main tank or my nano (fishless) that is completely cured and no ammonia. I don't even do water change that much, only once a month when I have fish in quarantine or once every 2 weeks if there are some nitrates.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
That is strange. I never ever had any ammonia problem in quarantine. I use a 20 gallons with a few good pieces of liverock and never a trace of ammonia in this. I use good porous Totoka liverock that I take from either my main tank or my nano (fishless) that is completely cured and no ammonia. I don't even do water change that much, only once a month when I have fish in quarantine or once every 2 weeks if there are some nitrates.
Perhaps my sponge filter is not sufficient. I'll get some additional rock and seed it in my sump.

Last edited by syncro; 01-20-2012 at 09:20 PM.