Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-19-2012, 02:36 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

That is strange. I never ever had any ammonia problem in quarantine. I use a 20 gallons with a few good pieces of liverock and never a trace of ammonia in this. I use good porous Totoka liverock that I take from either my main tank or my nano (fishless) that is completely cured and no ammonia. I don't even do water change that much, only once a month when I have fish in quarantine or once every 2 weeks if there are some nitrates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncro View Post
Yikes, I can see why so few people run quarantine tanks. I just did another 50% water change and added some Alpha so I'll see how it looks in the morning. Thanks marie.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:05 PM

syncro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
That is strange. I never ever had any ammonia problem in quarantine. I use a 20 gallons with a few good pieces of liverock and never a trace of ammonia in this. I use good porous Totoka liverock that I take from either my main tank or my nano (fishless) that is completely cured and no ammonia. I don't even do water change that much, only once a month when I have fish in quarantine or once every 2 weeks if there are some nitrates.
Perhaps my sponge filter is not sufficient. I'll get some additional rock and seed it in my sump.

Last edited by syncro; 01-20-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Problem is you need to have some good liverock already cured and seeded before starting the quarantine. Can you get some cured liverock from your main tank temporary in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncro View Post
Perhaps my sponge filter is not sufficient. I'll get some additional rock and seed it in my sump.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

When I used to quarantine, I kept a mesh bag of filter media in a high flow area of my sump at all times. Before I'd go to the fish store I'd have water change water ready just in case I needed to set up a quarantine. I did this for both fish and corals.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
Problem is you need to have some good liverock already cured and seeded before starting the quarantine. Can you get some cured liverock from your main tank temporary in there?
I don't have much rock at the moment but will add some to my sump for the future. In the meantime, perhaps more water movement through the sponge with a mini-filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
When I used to quarantine, I kept a mesh bag of filter media in a high flow area of my sump at all times.
What type of filter media and how much?
Old 03-18-2012, 04:08 AM

Changed out the sponge filter for 2-3 lbs live rock. Much better. Can go a 5 days between water changes.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I just finished a cycle in my QT (fish is now in the display) running a 30gal tank, I did a 50% waterchange every 5 days (from the main tank) and dosed Amquel daily. I have about 5lb of live rock in the tank and I'm also using one of those seachem ammonia thingies and it never even registered ammonia. Perhaps your tank is a bit small? Maybe increase the volume of your waterchange, 5% doesn't seem like all that much?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

I would not trust those disc detectors.

Do an actual test.

If there is ammonia, use seachem's stability, or kordons AmQuel to control the ammonia.

I am confiused though, is the live rock tank also a QT? if it is, it should not have rock in it.

a QT tank should have just a basic sponge filter, or aquaclear for water flow, and no sand or rock.

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 03-18-2012, 04:11 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I use the SeaChem Ammonia Alerts in my quarantine tanks. They are cheap and last a year. However, I find the numbers listed on the Alert to be pretty much completely useless. An actual test often shows ammonia to be 10x what the Alert says it is. I use the Alert as an alert, not as a test kit. If there is any color change on the Alert I take steps to detoxify the ammonia.

I like to use ChlorAm-X, but this is not available to most people. My second choice is AmQuel as it is twice as concentrated as Prime and half the price. I do not use any biological filtration means in my quarantine tanks. I choose to use PVC piping and a plastic plant (not fabric) to help the fish feel safe. Instead of relying on biological filtration which I find unreliable in a quarantine situation, I dose ammonia detoxifier/binder everyday (just enough to keep the color yellow on the Alert), and do 50% waterchanges twice a week to remove the bound ammonia. Running a quarantine tank this way is much simpler and easier.

If you use live rock in the tank and the fish in quarantine breaks out with a disease that needs treatment you must either sacrifice the rock or remove it. Live rock is incompatible with many medications because it will absorb the medication and reduce the concentration in the water column rendering the treatment useless. Other medications with kill the biological bacteria in the rock and thus produce ammonia in the tank. So, if the fish needs treatment now you have to disturb an already stressed fish by altering his environment to remove the rock. So why not start with no rock to begin with? Running a quarantine as I described above requires no altering of the environment when medications need to be added.

SPS fanatic.