Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Quarantine: ammonia problems (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82222)

syncro 01-19-2012 04:14 AM

Quarantine: ammonia problems

I am getting increasing ammonia in 5g quarantine tank holding a clownfish and several snails. Current ammonia is about 0.035ppm.

- 5% water change (almost) daily
- 75% water change today
- large sponge filter seeded for 3 weeks in sump
- daily removal of uneaten food
- nearly daily addition of Aquavitro Alpha ammonia binder

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6...27ce0dea_b.jpg

Clownfish appears health, active and eating. Has good coloration and no sign of frayed fins.

Any suggestions?

daniella3d 01-19-2012 04:33 AM

Is it possible that the product that you use to neutralize ammonia is still giving your a false reading?

You can put some pieces of liverock in there if you are not treating with copper. It will be better for filtration than a sponge filter. Not sure that was long enough to be properly seeded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by syncro (Post 673034)
I am getting increasing ammonia in 5g quarantine
- nearly daily addition of Aquavitro Alpha ammonia binder

Any suggestions?

fishytime 01-19-2012 04:42 AM

prodibio "start"..... been hearing really good things about it.....you "supposed" to be able to put fish directly in a new setup (no cycle) when using this stuff.....I cant see why it couldnt be used to help maintain ammonia and nitrates in a QT

marie 01-19-2012 04:44 AM

In my hospital tank (tank with no filtration, just some PVC pipe for hidey holes) I assume that I will have to do 50% water changes daily, that's why it's better to have a smaller tank (I use a 20g)

syncro 01-19-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniella3d (Post 673041)
Is it possible that the product that you use to neutralize ammonia is still giving your a false reading?

Good idea. It is a Seachem Ammonia Alert badge that detects free ammonia. It is not affected by Seachem Prime or AmmoLock so I suspect it isn't affected by other ammonia binders like Aquavitro Aqua. I'll ask SeaChem.

syncro 01-19-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishytime (Post 673047)
prodibio "start"..... been hearing really good things about it.....you "supposed" to be able to put fish directly in a new setup (no cycle) when using this stuff.....I cant see why it couldnt be used to help maintain ammonia and nitrates in a QT

Thanks! The Stop Ammo chemical in Prodibio StartUp is likely an ammonia binder like Prime/Alpha/AmmoLock. Though none of the products list their ingredients so it is hard to tell.

syncro 01-19-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marie (Post 673048)
In my hospital tank (tank with no filtration, just some PVC pipe for hidey holes) I assume that I will have to do 50% water changes daily, that's why it's better to have a smaller tank (I use a 20g)

Yikes, I can see why so few people run quarantine tanks. I just did another 50% water change and added some Alpha so I'll see how it looks in the morning. Thanks marie.

marie 01-19-2012 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syncro (Post 673079)
Yikes, I can see why so few people run quarantine tanks. I just did another 50% water change and added some Alpha so I'll see how it looks in the morning. Thanks marie.

I have a "liverock" tank and a hospital tank. The liverock tank is where corals and new fish go so I can keep an eye on them, if there is problems they go into the hospital tank for treatment.
I'm constantly telling my family that the liverock tank is not not a tank, it's a storage/quarantine place and therefore doesn't count.....................they do not yet believe me :lol:

syncro 01-19-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marie (Post 673083)
The liverock tank is where corals and new fish go so I can keep an eye on them, if there is problems they go into the hospital tank for treatment.

How often do you do water changes in your live rock tank?

Quote:

Originally Posted by marie (Post 673083)
it's a storage/quarantine place and therefore doesn't count.....................they do not yet believe me :lol:

Ha, I agree!

marie 01-19-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syncro (Post 673084)
How often do you do water changes in your live rock tank?

Ha, I agree!

If there are fish/corals in it I do a 25% weekly water change otherwise it could go 2 or 3 months between water changes