Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2011, 03:31 AM

doch is on a distinguished road
Default Tunze troubles... am I the only one?

Well, I'm slowly growing a dislike for my Tunze equipment. Maybe I knock German vehicle engineering too much and this is karma biting me in the butt.

I picked up 2 used tunze waveboxes (old style) and am pretty sure that they malfunctioned somehow spilling water all over the floor, and the wavebox electronics. Hmm. Not all too worried about this portion of my problems, but I mentioned it anyways.

OK, so I gave up on used equipment, and bought 2 of the new style waveboxes... 6215 I think. I also grabbed 2 6105's. Shortly after recieving the 6105's, one of the power supplies crapped out and Tunze replaced it under warranty. Fast forward a week or 2 and one of the 6105 heads is no longer spinning. I finally find time to take it apart, give it a bit of a cleaning (not that there was anything inside of it) and it's working again. Today, I wake up from my deep night shift slumber, go downstairs and one of the 6215s is not spinning. I could see it twitch everytime that the wave controller pulsed, but it wouldn't spin. I cursed and grumbled, took the pump out, took it apart, 'cleaned it' (nothing in there that needed cleaning IMO) and put it back in. Applied power, it pulsed twice and crapped out again.

WTF!? The oldest peice of Tunze equipment in the tank is no more than 2 months old. I don't get it. 3 failures already? More than $1500 in purchase price? Maybe I'll switch back to Koralia!

I had read everywhere on here that 'you can't kill Tunzes'... 'they're bullet proof'

Am I just cursed? Is anyone else out there experiencing stuff like this (the new stuff... I'm not worried about the used stuff that got soaked)? Did Tunze build a bad batch of pumps or what?

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924

Last edited by doch; 09-24-2011 at 03:33 AM.