Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-04-2012, 11:46 PM

chandigz is on a distinguished road

I think the idea of cb being less disease resistent. Is because they have never been exposed to disease or parasites. Their immune system hasn't ever had to fight off anything. They have no antibodies or resistance. Like when we get vacinated we are being exposed to a virus for our immune system to build antibodies.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:23 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
I think tank bred are way too hardy.

Just to do "kind of" an experiment, I added a captive bred clownfish on the very day when I received my cured live rock (no fish police I hope :P). And guess what? It is still kicking and way too playful (tank's running more than a month now). Then I got a wild one few weeks after adding the first one, and suddenly it stopped eating, mouths were stuck open and I knew it would get ich very soon and I was true and had to put it out of its misery.

This caused me to be curious since my situation is either caused by the fish being wild or the fish being sick initially!
i think damsels in particular do better in the cycle process than most other fish and are very hardy:P
Old 08-05-2012, 12:26 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandigz View Post
I think the idea of cb being less disease resistent. Is because they have never been exposed to disease or parasites. Their immune system hasn't ever had to fight off anything. They have no antibodies or resistance. Like when we get vacinated we are being exposed to a virus for our immune system to build antibodies.

+1

plus wild caught fish are street smart:P
Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
i think damsels in particular do better in the cycle process than most other fish and are very hardy:P
Haha. I know but I just didn't want to go through the trouble of removing the damsel afterwards.

But I was pretty surprised because the clown went through my cycle without any problem. From the very first day, it was eating like pig and from the 2nd take it started taking food from my hand. It was awesome
Old 08-05-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
+1

plus wild caught fish are street smart:P
So you think wild caught are better to get? (Will save me lots of money )
Old 08-05-2012, 01:14 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Haha. I know but I just didn't want to go through the trouble of removing the damsel afterwards.

But I was pretty surprised because the clown went through my cycle without any problem. From the very first day, it was eating like pig and from the 2nd take it started taking food from my hand. It was awesome

clownfish are part of the damsel family:P
Old 08-05-2012, 01:16 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
So you think wild caught are better to get? (Will save me lots of money )

no i dont think they are better, but finding them reguarily and then proving they are tank bred is another story. most of the fish stores around here have wild caught fish, the odd tank bred fish that comes through are mostly clowns and bangers.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
clownfish are part of the damsel family:P
Oh yes I forgot
Old 08-05-2012, 04:51 AM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

I think Gold's meant well in their opinion, but may have been narrow in perspective.

Keep in mind, by the time that a wild caught fish has reached the store, the greater proportion of fish that died along the way are not offered for sale. Numerous were caught and held prior to consolidating to a local exporting shipper, then numerous die in that transit, then some die post arrival to a wholesaler in Canada or US, then some make it to our LFS. In contrast, captive bred have higher survival rates come straight from the farm to the north american wholesaler/LFS. By the time a wild caught is offered side by side with a captive bred, you're looking at one heck of a fighter in the wild fish. Physiologically they are comparable but costs of an aquaculture operation is going to require higher prices.

The questions is not whether you want captive bred for hardiness... the difference is likely not statistically significant if you ran 100 trials against common aquarium diseases. The question will be simply your choice. It's a purchase preference in ethics, not in utility. No right or wrong either way, fisheries exist to provide for society, we're just not eating these fish. They're not on the endangered list.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:09 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Geek View Post
I think Gold's meant well in their opinion, but may have been narrow in perspective.

Keep in mind, by the time that a wild caught fish has reached the store, the greater proportion of fish that died along the way are not offered for sale. Numerous were caught and held prior to consolidating to a local exporting shipper, then numerous die in that transit, then some die post arrival to a wholesaler in Canada or US, then some make it to our LFS. In contrast, captive bred have higher survival rates come straight from the farm to the north american wholesaler/LFS. By the time a wild caught is offered side by side with a captive bred, you're looking at one heck of a fighter in the wild fish. Physiologically they are comparable but costs of an aquaculture operation is going to require higher prices.

The questions is not whether you want captive bred for hardiness... the difference is likely not statistically significant if you ran 100 trials against common aquarium diseases. The question will be simply your choice. It's a purchase preference in ethics, not in utility. No right or wrong either way, fisheries exist to provide for society, we're just not eating these fish. They're not on the endangered list.
+1 i was goingto comment the same. who knows how many fish are lost in transit i try to purchase aquacultured if i can find its origin but yet if i wish a certian fish/critter not bred in captivity am i going to pass it up possibly not. but for the most part i prefer captive bred

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428