Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-10-2010, 08:36 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Thanks Lance and Brian!

Brian to be honest I haven't much thought of what to do with that. Currently I have a rain barrell for RO/DI and a rubbermaid garbage can mixing SW. It's not food grade or anything so it's probably a terrible thing to use but on the other hand it has a few years worth of calcium buildup on the sides so it's really more of a calcium based tank with a plastic underlayer. I'll keep these going for now although it would be nice to switch to a glass based tank for SW mixing at some point.

Funny you've mentioned the frogs. Kien and I had to go to Atlanta together for work a couple weeks ago (we were working on the same project), to amuse ourselves in the evenings one time we went to the botanical gardens and then another day to the aquarium. Both places have nice dart frog displays and it's rekindled the interest in me in setting up a dart viv, either with some auratus or some azureus. But I've promised myself "no new projects" until this one is done (it's been embarrassingly long as it is, I can't believe how pathetic I am ) but I might just use it as the carrot on a stick to get this tank filled as soon as possible. How are your froggies doing these days? Any pictures you can share so we can live vicariously through the internet?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:01 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

I'm still using a rubbermaid can and the Lee Valley barrel myself.
As an afterthought on mine I would have run more RO lines in the wall with some kind of John Guest wall jacks.

Froggies are doing fantastic thanks I still have the same 3 leucs, only 1 orchid left but the broms and everything else grows like mad.

110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium
Old 09-10-2010, 10:03 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

That looks fantastic!!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Very nice setup so far! I cant wait to see the finished product in action.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:35 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Great work Tony!! Its all coming together now! Keep up the momentum and remember, you can sleep when you're dead

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:25 AM

reefcanada is on a distinguished road

It's looking very good Tony, can't wait to see it full.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:52 PM

Thanks Jay and Christy!

Last night's update disappeared mid-typing thanks to my bluescreening laptop (which I really need to get around to FnR'ing - format-n-reinstall - schtoopid computers). Anyhow.

No pictures this update. Last night I made the skimmer stand and put the skimmer where I thought I wanted it which was right in the center of the tank next to the return pump. Unfortunately it became evident that having it there and my frag tank on the right meant that I'd have no hope of ever getting into the sump area to replace dirty filter socks. So a few head scratching moments and a few "what about here? what about there?" moments and I think I have figured out a layout that should work. I'll slide the skimmer over the far right of the tank and have it turned 90 degree so it just drains straight into the sump (so I didn't need that 90 MPT fitting anyhow. Ooops. Oh well...). I'll have the frag tank on the left. Nice and open in that spot and it's a spot in the sump I wouldn't likely need to access on a daily basis. It does mean it's in the middle of the room, sort of, but at least there's plenty of space to workaround. The real bummer is that it also means that my plumbing for the frag tank is now pointing in the wrong direction and I'll have to either redo it, or put a "U turn" in the pipe and bring it back all the way over to the OTHER side of the tank.

Plumbing - love it and loathe it!

I am thinking at this point I am going to transfer my clowns and carpets into a temporary tank sooner than later, move them into the empty corner of the tank room (I need to start moving the tanks out of the open area in the basement, sooner or later anyhow). That leaves the semi-cube open and ready for cleaning (it needs it big-time, it's been running for about 4 or 5 years now!) and I'm thinking of plumbing it into the system sooner rather than later. This way when I do the wet test it will be a part of that and I can see what adjustments to the plan will be needed.

Trial and error for the win!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Tony if you want a hand one night this week let me know and I'll pop by!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:52 AM

Slightly bittersweet this evening.

I finally finished the plumbing, after MUCH trial and error, and redo-ing a few things after not liking it as much as I thought I would. Funny how seeing things in person never seems to match up to my expectations of it in my imagination.

I switched the direction of the frag tank feed pipe. Unfortunately in doing so I busted the valve ($8 down the drain, oh well). Luckily I did have a spare 1" valve in my junk drawer, only thing it it's threaded over slip .. but in that same drawer of shame was a threaded to slip adapter so it's all good.

Next up was the skimmer. I think I might have mentioned already that I had originally planned on having the skimmer in the centre and the frag tank to the right, but it became evident very quickly once I got the measuring tape out that this wasn't going to work out. So on the right for the skimmer. Built a little stand for it, drilled the sump, did a few iterations on the plumbing before finally settling on a schema that I liked.

I got so excited tonight that I had to do a wet test of the skimmer, so I filled the sump partway and flipped on that Mak4 pump to see what would happen.

Unfortunately the bearings are shot. That pump turns, but it howls like a banshee. The whole house resonated with the sound. Completely unacceptable.

So ...... a quandary now. I was already not liking the flanges, and was having trouble finding a solution for that anyhow. Now if I have to spend money to replace a pump I'm left wondering if I'd be better off spending money and replacing the whole skimmer with something insump. Which sucks because it means I drilled the sump for nothing then, but at least that can be patched or plugged.

And that's of course ignoring the financial end of the equation.

I'm left wondering if I'd be even able to sell the skimmer. It's VERY large so the target market is probably pretty small. I see by this thread:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=22453&
.. that I paid $250 or probably very close to that for the skimmer. Fast forward to today, becketts are a bit dated these days, so it's unlikely I'd be able to sell it easily and certainly won't be able to defray the cost of a new skimmer by any significant amount even if I did.

On the flip side, the acrylic alone is worth a mint. I'm probably better off for the moment looking for a replacement pump and dealing with the skimmer replacement question down the road, but then I'm left wondering, why do it twice. Do it once and be done with it.

Any opinions?

Here are some pictures. Looks like Shaw fixed the photoshares so I'm back to hosting these pictures at Shaw. I have to go back and fix the last batch now but I'm kinda too lazy to get the get up and go for that.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:26 AM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

i woulld say if it works then why change. sure there is new tech and new design but if yours does the same thing in the end why not keep it .. besides if you do an in sump skimmer you will lose precious space fro media reactors and such in future. if i could have a fish room (never happen in this house) i would use it. notto mention if you ever wanted to use ozone i think you would get more water contact on your skimmer. just my opinion tho.

but i am very jealous if i wanted a fish room id have to build a garage weather proof it and build my dream system out there. wife would never seemem again

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428