Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-03-2009, 03:28 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
I don't quite understand why fish could be worth so much. I might be a jerk for saying this, but ... they're still fish? I.e., sooner or later they are going to die just like any other fish. Heck I just learned this lesson myself with my eel, most expensive fish I ever spent money on, and only got to keep him 4 months.

Oh Tony, not the eel?????

I'm all for maintaining my own tank, half the fun of it is all the water chemistry, aquascaping, frag placement and of course, picking caulerpa (I so hate waterchanges though but would hate paying someone to do it even more, that would take away from my coral budget ). I've discovered that I get bored when the tank is "full" or looking good as I don't want to mess with it, but then I end up doing it anyways. The other half of the fun is buying stuff

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:55 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

GSP, is it to bold of me ot ask what your parents do for a living??? And how can I make that kind of $$$ LOL a $10,000 Koi. Got with house or not. My little blue collar brain just can't fathom LOL

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 01-03-2009, 05:28 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Now when this post went up there was no money amount....
If I had 1 million I would do my own maintanence as that is not a whole lot of money these days, mind you water changes would be as easy as turning a few gate valves and never lifting a bucket ever again. 1 million if invested properly could last you the rest of your life living normally.

But if I had 5 million then I would definately pay someone to maintain the tank or maybe not... as mentioned above it would be all automated, however because of the amount of money I had, the tank would be very big and tall like 15ft long by 8ft wide by 8ft tall so technically I would need divers to stalk the tank and pick up stuff if it fell. Now I know my dreams are large here but it all started on rc when I saw this lucky guys tank hope he doesn't mind...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-03-2009, 05:54 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferious View Post
how to appreciate what's in your possession is upto each individual. this is akin to the person who's been trained all his/her life to practise and perfect works of musicians such as mozart, beethovan,etc and yet will never touch any keyboard again once the person reaches a certain goal in life but will continue to enjoy vicariously what he/she was once trained to do so by symphony, concert attendances.
Yeah I like how you put this...
Old 01-03-2009, 05:56 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

i would only get it done if i was gone for periods of time often, or maybe when i get old and im too weak or tired to do it

but as for now its mostly a factor of its my tank and i dont want anyone to do anything bad to it :P
and also when you do your own maintenance you notice things physically that you wouldn't notice about your tank by looking at it

Last edited by karazy; 01-03-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:03 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
GSP, is it to bold of me ot ask what your parents do for a living??? And how can I make that kind of $$$ LOL a $10,000 Koi. Got with house or not. My little blue collar brain just can't fathom LOL
To be honest, I would not even be able to tell you exactly what he does ...Managing Director, Global Equity Finance, Asia. If that means anything to you. I just know he works for a large bank and thats his title. I have never had much interest in what he does. Not in a bad way but its just not my thing. I am an artist and make my living in a much different way, LOL. He has worked his way up though to this job literally from the bottom and I know is proud to be where he is. Many of the people he works with came from money and have been just kind of given jobs their whole life whether they deserve them or not.

Really I just thought it was an interesting topic because I knew most people here would never want someone else messing with their tank regardless of whether they could afford it or not. I am still kind of like that and take great pride in my tank but man I hate maintenance. I really do prefer to just watch the tank and enjoy things.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:47 PM

silver arrowana is on a distinguished road

Hey, go to YouTube and type in "LA Fishguys" you will find out how the aquarium maintenance business work. Very interesting !!!

Last edited by silver arrowana; 01-03-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:29 PM

fiorano is on a distinguished road

i dont think id ever want someone messing with my tank even if it was free. i like doing all the little things and water changes etc. to me thats half of the fun and you can enjoy it so much more because you know all the hard work you put into it
Old 01-04-2009, 04:48 PM

Diana is on a distinguished road

We enjoying maintaining tanks so much that we do get paid to do it! That being said our own tanks do suffer a little because of it....

This question is really similar to many hobbies, like gardening, some people get landscapers to do their garden and some wouldn't dream of it!

If I had the money I think I would get someone in to do some maintenance on my tanks, but I enjoy aquascaping and coral pruning myself. Coral and fish selection would be my own choice, but I would not shy away from someone making knowledgeable suggestions to me!

-Diana