Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-02-2009, 07:28 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmin View Post
Even if the money was given to me, I would still maintain and research myself. I wouldn't have learned much from this hobby if I didn't do all the maintenance and research (along with the help of friends, books and the net along the way too). Not only that, but I couldn't imagine looking into my tank, seeing something, and not knowing what it is (and that STILL happens here and there). I think maintenance is a part of the true passion for most saltwater enthusiasts and even though it can be a bit of a pain in the BUTT, here and there... It's worth the personal relationship you build with your tank and inhabitants along the way...
Even though they're 'just fish and corals' its amazing what a huge part of your life they can be. I don't know HOW many times that tank has had something in it make me laugh, gasp in awe, shake a fist in anger, and the odd time... almost cry. That's just a couple things that makes that bit of tedious maintenance is worth to me, but to each their own. This is completely MY opinion and nothing more.

P.S If anyone in Edmonton and Area would like their tank maintenance done for $500 a week please shoot me a pm. I'd be more than happy to look after that for you. lol
Yeah cause if you didn't set up the tank yourself, there is no way you would know the names of anything in it...

I disagree that the maintenance is the true passion. Well maybe it is for some but that does not make someone more of an enthusiast than someone who hates/doesn't want to do the maintenance. I can tell you the true passion for me is watching everything grow and interact. The maintenance is just something that I have to do. Not something I ever enjoy.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 01-02-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Ken is on a distinguished road

A friend of ours in Hong Kong pays a guy to look after their fish tank and koi pond for $650 cd month. They never touch their tank at all, just look at it and admire it. If the water was low or something, they phone him up and bam its $100 on the spot, just to top it up. Some people owns high end vehicle but not necessary wants to repair, maintain themselves or tinker with the mechanical part and willing to pay the high bucks to have it look after. Regards Ken
Old 01-02-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
A friend of ours in Hong Kong pays a guy to look after their fish tank and koi pond for $650 cd month. They never touch their tank at all, just look at it and admire it. If the water was low or something, they phone him up and bam its $100 on the spot, just to top it up. Some people owns high end vehicle but not necessary wants to repair, maintain themselves or tinker with the mechanical part and willing to pay the high bucks to have it look after. Regards Ken
The Koi pond I really understand. They can be a lot of work! I guess in Singapore the weather never changes year round, so weather is not an issue but still. I was playing with one of the KOi when I was there last and my dad came in and was like "you like him?...that guy is worth about $10 000..."

I immediately stopped petting it and watched from a bit farther away

I personally would never want to care for such expensive fish (although they never bought it for that much). Actually I wouldn't want to even own such expensive fish. It would be stressful for me!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:17 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I don't quite understand why fish could be worth so much. I might be a jerk for saying this, but ... they're still fish? I.e., sooner or later they are going to die just like any other fish. Heck I just learned this lesson myself with my eel, most expensive fish I ever spent money on, and only got to keep him 4 months.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 PM

Rippin is on a distinguished road

I guess it would depend on how well off I was. If I was dirty rich I'd probably have some crazy custom built 5000+ gallon reef tank. At that size I couldn't do all of the maintenance by myself so I would have to resort to hiring help.

If the size was more manageable, then I'd be inclined to think that I'd do my own maintenance, even if I could afford to hire help. I'd probably spend big bucks up front on a proper setup that will make maintenance as trouble-free/automated as possible.

I think most people that frequent boards like Canreef are more than casual aquarists, who enjoy the hobby through hands-on experience (sometimes painful).

But hey, we can try a little experiment. Pass me a few million and we can see if I'd change my behaviour.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:57 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

If I had the money I think I would pay someone twice a month to come and make sure everything and I mean everything is just right. I don't mind the regular water changes, and testing, but it would be nice to have someone pick it over with a fine tooth comb. This way, if something was amiss, they could help me with solutions to the problem whatever that might be.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:07 AM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't pay somebody. The wife looks too sexy packing pails around the house. JK.

I still wouldn't pay to have it done. To me playing around with the equipment and in the tanks is the best part of the hobby.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippin View Post
I guess it would depend on how well off I was. If I was dirty rich I'd probably have some crazy custom built 5000+ gallon reef tank. At that size I couldn't do all of the maintenance by myself so I would have to resort to hiring help.

If the size was more manageable, then I'd be inclined to think that I'd do my own maintenance, even if I could afford to hire help. I'd probably spend big bucks up front on a proper setup that will make maintenance as trouble-free/automated as possible.

I think most people that frequent boards like Canreef are more than casual aquarists, who enjoy the hobby through hands-on experience (sometimes painful).

But hey, we can try a little experiment. Pass me a few million and we can see if I'd change my behaviour.
Their Koi Pond is just over 3000G, so it was one of those situations where I don't think they would be able to maintain it themselves. And actually it came with the house they bought, so they didn't have many choices other than to keep it. Its in the middle of their home in a courtyard.

I actually asked why he didn't go bigger than 400G since he doesn't take care of it and he didn't have any reason really. The guy who built the tank just recommended the 400G. I think I got it into his head though that he should have gone much bigger
Old 01-03-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
I don't quite understand why fish could be worth so much. I might be a jerk for saying this, but ... they're still fish? I.e., sooner or later they are going to die just like any other fish. Heck I just learned this lesson myself with my eel, most expensive fish I ever spent money on, and only got to keep him 4 months.
I don't understand with Koi but its a color morph thing and species. I think its all about the size too. This Koi is worth more as it grows. They got it with the house they bought though, my dad would never have actually bought a fish that expensive. The previous owners were Chinese and said it was a good luck fish to them. My dad says he likes it cause it looks cool and lets you pet it.

Im not a huge fan of Koi, so they all kind of look the same to me. The expensive one kind of looks like a cow fish because if the pattern.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:40 AM

reeferious is on a distinguished road
Default hands on/off approach to what you enjoy in life

how to appreciate what's in your possession is upto each individual. this is akin to the person who's been trained all his/her life to practise and perfect works of musicians such as mozart, beethovan,etc and yet will never touch any keyboard again once the person reaches a certain goal in life but will continue to enjoy vicariously what he/she was once trained to do so by symphony, concert attendances.