Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 09-09-2007, 08:51 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I tried a jaunt on over to Red Coral this summer and I just gave up. I got cut off like 6 times before I just packed it in. I like my car in one piece!

I go home quite a bit still and I do make an effort to visit somewhere when I have the time. Although lately I've found it harder and harder to get anywhere.

The biggest problem in Calgary now seems to be accesibility. If the trip takes more the 30 minutes one way, I don't really want to do it. When I left in 2002 it used to be about 20 minutes straight up crowchild to the university for me. Last time I tried it I hit 40 minutes BEFORE I'd made it to the university area.

But when I think about it, I would rather take the traffic, and the constant construction then Edmonton's monster potholes. There is nothing like bottoming out and getting your car stuck in a pothole in winter to make you love Calgary!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:03 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

Does anyone even actually shop for SW at Riverfront?

I was in a couple weeks back for the first time in months (walked over during lunch) and it was still the fish horror shop it alwasy was

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Quote:
But when I think about it, I would rather take the traffic, and the constant construction then Edmonton's monster potholes. There is nothing like bottoming out and getting your car stuck in a pothole in winter to make you love Calgary!
You have a point, there's always somewhere worse to live. Take England for example; because I was just there. To drive the same distance from my house to Oceans for example, woud take longer. You'd have to cross three towns, battling complex '"roundabouts'', narrow roads with traffic wizzing by you at break neck speeds, and all while you are driving on th wrong side of the road! I will never compain about driving in the north west end of Calgary again. In England the roads are so messed up, I couldn't even tell which direction was north without looking at the sun's position, provided the sun was even visible.

For me, its not the driving that bothers me, I enjoy driving, pumpin' the tunes etc. Don't get me wrong though, if I don't feel like driving that day guess which LFS will get my business. What bothers me is that I can't wrap my head around having the bulk of the LFS clumped together in one area of the city. It just doesn't make sence to me. Where's the logic in it? Surely some research was done prior to selecting the location for the new BA's, so what factors are they basing their decision on for choosing a north location? When they open, I will drive up there one day just to ask that very question, as should we all.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 09-10-2007, 12:35 PM

kari is on a distinguished road

I would say it has a lot to do with lease rates.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:27 PM

Tyson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Thing is, I'd consider Riverfront and Gold more "central" than anything. Yes, by the map, Gold is in the south. However, it only takes me 5 minutes more driving to get to Wai's than it does to get to Gold's. So to me it doesn't really feel all that "south". Porthos I asssume you live in the north, I don't think you'd say that otherwise

To be honest, I really did enjoy Big Al's previous location. It was close to work, close to home, I could go there for a quick boo and be back home inside of an hour. I can't do that to any store anymore except for Elite. And ... well .. short of M.O., guess who gets most of MY business? Sorry, location being convenient is a BIG factor to me nowadays. Before I had kids and I had lots of time to spare, I didn't mind driving all over the wazoo. Now with small kids at home, no ... not so much. So .. yeah, I don't think I'm being unreasonable feeling the way I do. And if you think I am .. well .. tough, I'm not changing my opinion!! Well .. actually, no. It's not an opinion. It's fact. From where I live, it's inconvenient to get to the north (or "north-esque") stores. It takes a bit of planning and juggling things around to do it. I realize it's not this way for everyone, and that's cool. But that's how it is for me.

I feel the same way, when i was single and liveing at my parents place it was easy is to go kill a day driving around looking for stuff(not just reef stuff). When big al's left and i got married my time became costly, but i still find time to pack a lunch and journey to the north dispite my wifes objections. It's the reef madness that compels me to go.

Last edited by Tyson; 10-19-2007 at 04:09 PM.