Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 09-09-2007, 03:45 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

The worst was when I drove all the way to Red Coral on a sunday to find out it had closed 1/2 and hour before I got there

If I had the cash in the bank I would seriously consider opening a fish store in the south. You would end up doing a good business just becuase of the fact that people don't want to drive to the other side of the world just to find out that the selection is crappy, the shipment did'nt arrive or if it did that there is nothing you want.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 09-09-2007, 04:09 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital-audiophile View Post
The worst was when I drove all the way to Red Coral on a sunday to find out it had closed 1/2 and hour before I got there

If I had the cash in the bank I would seriously consider opening a fish store in the south. You would end up doing a good business just becuase of the fact that people don't want to drive to the other side of the world just to find out that the selection is crappy, the shipment did'nt arrive or if it did that there is nothing you want.
I'd visit regularly!
Old 09-09-2007, 04:48 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Hehe, maybe I'll open up shop in my basement. I could service all of southern Ablerta from where I live.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 09-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Porthos is on a distinguished road

Technically there are 3 stores in the south that sell saltwater fish compared to 3 stores in the North...

South:
Riverfront
Elite
Golds

North:
Red Coral
Ocean's
Wai's

I would say it is pretty even
Old 09-09-2007, 06:33 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
Technically there are 3 stores in the south that sell saltwater fish compared to 3 stores in the North...

South:
Riverfront
Elite
Golds

North:
Red Coral
Ocean's
Wai's

I would say it is pretty even
Big als will be in the north...uneven again.

Everyone here (except obviuosly people who work at another LFS) should pool together and run a community store...canreef...it would work they do it for other things

Old 09-09-2007, 06:38 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Yeah, but, you live in Didsbury. When you choose to shop in a different city, you take on the choice that it will take an hour or whatever in each direction to get there.

If there was some decent spread to the stores, then it would be a matter of "I could do this store one day, a couple days later, try another" and so on. But the fact is now I'd have to make a day trip out of it, and frankly, the selection IN the stores on any given day is usually disappointing unless you luck out and come in on a day right after they landed a shipment. So it's hardly worth your while to do so unless you have advance knowledge of what's in stock on a given day. And well, nobody posts that info, so you gamble.

I haven't been to Red Coral yet either. That store is seriously an hour's drive in one direction assuming traffic is GOOD. The traffic in the city and the road layout is horrid. The roads were fine when we were a city of 300,000. Now that we're a million plus and using the SAME roads, it's a little different. (Thank you Al, for making the 90's a "Let's do nothing!" decade. And that money the feds gave you for infrastructure, I can't thank you enough - not a day goes by where I don't notice that the luxury boxes at the Saddledome don't make my day just a little bit brighter! Whee!)

Bellyaching? Sure, I guess I am. I feel it's a bit of a legitimate complaint though. I feel there decent room to open a store in the south. I'm sure Big Al's location will serve them well. I just wish they would have picked a location closer to me. Don't we all feel this way once in a while though?
Yeah i'm not thrilled aboiut the drive, but I do work out of Calgary though. And i would agree bout the lack of antything actually for sale in these stores as well. I have been prtty dissapointed with all the once i've visisted selections more than i've been happy with them. But i try to support if I can. But i usually do J&L, TBSW,(US) and Two Part Solutiions (US). They are working on the northern part of the ring road though :0 and hey just think what it would be like if you worked downtown...stupid "Bow"
I have the feeling Calgary and Alberta in general is quickly turning into somewhere I no longer want to live.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:58 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Now that Kari's moving there is absolutely nothing that makes even me want to drive to a NE location.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:10 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Thing is, I'd consider Riverfront and Gold more "central" than anything. Yes, by the map, Gold is in the south. However, it only takes me 5 minutes more driving to get to Wai's than it does to get to Gold's. So to me it doesn't really feel all that "south". Porthos I asssume you live in the north, I don't think you'd say that otherwise

To be honest, I really did enjoy Big Al's previous location. It was close to work, close to home, I could go there for a quick boo and be back home inside of an hour. I can't do that to any store anymore except for Elite. And ... well .. short of M.O., guess who gets most of MY business? Sorry, location being convenient is a BIG factor to me nowadays. Before I had kids and I had lots of time to spare, I didn't mind driving all over the wazoo. Now with small kids at home, no ... not so much. So .. yeah, I don't think I'm being unreasonable feeling the way I do. And if you think I am .. well .. tough, I'm not changing my opinion!! Well .. actually, no. It's not an opinion. It's fact. From where I live, it's inconvenient to get to the north (or "north-esque") stores. It takes a bit of planning and juggling things around to do it. I realize it's not this way for everyone, and that's cool. But that's how it is for me.

Last edited by Delphinus; 09-09-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:25 PM

Porthos is on a distinguished road

Delphinus, you are right, I am in the North

However, I'm in the far North, so like you, I would also consider Wai's and Ocean's to be pretty central, just like Riverfront and Golds. The only store I can visit somewhat easily is Red Coral (although it is still out of the way), but luckily that is also one of my favourites to visit.

Elite and Golds are actually too far for me so I don't visit them often. The new Big Al's is also out of the way, but I work close by, so I can visit it at lunch and after work pretty easily. Hopefully it will be good so that I can check things out often. I wasn't in the hobby when the old Big Al's was around.

I think those that live far North have it just as bad as those that live in the deep south. Most of the stores are pretty central when you think about it, other than Elite and Red Coral, and those are still somewhat central.

For people in the SW, if you have easy access to Crowchild, it is actually pretty quick to get to Red Coral if you aren't driving during rush hour. Red Coral is like a minute off of Crowchild Trail.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:45 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
For people in the SW, if you have easy access to Crowchild, it is actually pretty quick to get to Red Coral if you aren't driving during rush hour. Red Coral is like a minute off of Crowchild Trail.
Take it back! Crowchild is my worst nightmare. I'd rather listen to screaming children on a 14-hour flight to Hong Kong (and I've done both, so I know...lol).

Let's face it, Calgary's just a crap city to have to drive long distances for things. We have two seasons here: winter and construction. Neither are very conducive to driving long distances and maintaining a healthy mental state.

Riverfront is downtown, which is a frustration all unto itself. Wai's and Ocean City are on 16th, which again, is a construction/traffic/HWY 1 nightmare. Red Coral is connected to Crowchild hell. Gold and Elite are pretty much the only stores I'll visit on an even remotely regular basis. I went to see if Pisces had a saltwater section (again), and it took me 30 minutes to get there, and that was mostly by Deerfoot.

When Big Al's opens, maybe I'll pack a picnic lunch, fill the car with gas, make sure my camera battery is charged, and make a day of it. Because I'm sure that's what it'll take. Then I'll write a blog entry about it entitled, "No Money for Fish, Spent It All On Gas".

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz