Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-24-2014, 05:20 PM

ashr is on a distinguished road

This has been some good info. I am building a new tank and have only ever had a RSM250 so I have never used a standard type of skimmer. I am looking around a 90-100g tank that will be a heavy load with fish and dominated by SPS. But I also don't want to break the bank and need something that isnt to crazy on my power bill. Any thoughts on that?

Ashr's Tank Journal
Old 08-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashr View Post
I am looking around a 90-100g tank that will be a heavy load with fish and dominated by SPS. But I also don't want to break the bank and need something that isnt to crazy on my power bill. Any thoughts on that?
My tank and requirements are pretty much the same, so hang out and see what progresses.
Denny posted some good info.

I have an Omega 150 in the back of my car right now, the guy that loaned it to me suggested I should spend my time watching cartoons rather than set it up. He's pretty experienced with skimmers, so, hmm

I do like BK, and I while I can't afford that, I might try if I knew it would last forever. But I am pretty sure it won't. And if I bought it, I wouldn't be able to afford the fix it. That's just life I guess.

The CSC look good, discontinued. Figures. Deltec, heard several people say quality is lacking, and parts are German/expensive.

Keep the chat going, let's see what others have to say
Old 08-24-2014, 06:38 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The duel Eheim pump Deltec he had out skimmed any of the other fancy expensive skimmers.
I bet it did great, I just can't do "fancy expensive"
Old 08-24-2014, 06:49 PM

Trevor W is on a distinguished road

If you do try out the Omega150 please let us know your thoughts... for obvious reason id like to know if I did infact make a bad purchase. If you try it how long do you plan on giving it as a test?
Old 08-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Check out the SRO 2000int , it's a beast. Rated for 180 to 200 gallons IIRC. Has been out for years now and from all the reading I've done on reef central on skimmers it has to be one of the most popular skimmers out there.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor W View Post
If you do try out the Omega150 please let us know your thoughts... for obvious reason id like to know if I did infact make a bad purchase. If you try it how long do you plan on giving it as a test?
I would run it for a week. It's dirty and used, so I'd give it a surface clean, therefore I wouldn't expect it to require a break in period. The guy did use the volute adjustment for the air as well.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman76 View Post
Check out the SRO 2000int , it's a beast. Rated for 180 to 200 gallons IIRC. Has been out for years now and from all the reading I've done on reef central on skimmers it has to be one of the most popular skimmers out there.
I've read that a bit, I'll look into it further.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:08 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Love my ER. When upgrading to my 180 I looked at a lot of skimmers but wasn't willing to take the plunge on the big $$ without being able to try or see it in action. Lucky another used ER came up so it was a no brainer. The "newer" ones (pre-cost saving measures to compete with chinese knockoffs) have way thinner acrylic and are more "delicate" (I'm not the most gentle with them) than my old little tank of a skimmer. Broke the neck off 2 weeks after buying it but a quick fix with some crazy glue or whatever I had on hand and it has been running like a champ ever since even though it ain't pretty. Pump is great too, goes through impellers every 12-18 mo due to swelling of the magnet. One day I'll be unable to find the sedra 9000 impellers but until then I'm good to go

I'm also kicking it old school with metal halides

I thought you had an ER??? What happened to it?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Zoa Hoarder

davej is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor W View Post
I'm in exact same boat, just picked one up for build in progress.
Just finishing sump so have not got it wet yet. Would love to here others experience with one.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post

I thought you had an ER??? What happened to it?
Too tall. I had to take a hit with a lower stand and it had to go. Otherwise it would still be running.
I also have a RS180 here, but no pump. The Sedra 5000 won't run it well, so I would need something bigger.

I was able to buy 2 BK mini 160s, one with a shot pump, for $350. The good one was good for about 10 days before it died Now I'm just ****ed -lol