Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I would consider Deltec, although the review I just watched has me rethinking

I guess for RE, while the unit I'm currently running is doing a fine job, it's over priced. I mean sure, it's built well. But we don't need that built. It's quiet, but a lot of skimmers are quiet. Easy to clean, but I clean skimmers at build time and at sell time.
The kicker for me is this. They use a pump that probably costs them in the area of $50. They glue it to a plate. The plate and glue somehow now make this a $250 motor block. Oh, sorry, it has a shiny sticker. It's sad. I mean, sure, I get it, they have to recover R&D, setup for prod, etc, but there are some many threads on so many boards complaining of the same issue, it's just not acceptable. Especially for those that paid such huge dolllars for their units new. I'm only mildly upset, as I bought mine for quite cheap, but I cannot justify paying RE prices for parts. If you can get them. I currently need 3 pumps. That's sad.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:20 PM

Taipan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
If you can get them. I currently need 3 pumps. That's sad.
Very sad. I'll work on this......

P.S. - I also agree on price points.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I'm checking with Hagen tomorrow to see if they have PT-344 blocks anywhere in the back room, if so, I'll rebuild the units I have here. 2 x160 and a 200. I wake up everyday expecting the 180 in my sump to be dead too -lol

If they don't have them, I'll try a single 1350 pump. Supposedly the same block. If that works, I might just get three of those. I Know a guy who knows a guy who owns a dog that once bit someone that knows a guy, but I'll get him to hold off on anything Until I sort this out. Even if I can get better pricing, I can't afford that x3.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:33 PM

Taipan is on a distinguished road

lol....understood
Old 08-24-2014, 04:34 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

I have run Euro-Reef and RE BK's on anywhere from a 40g to 300g. A BK Mini 180 on 40g up to the 85g, a Euro-Reef on the 85g (before I got the BK Mini), and a BK DC 250 with RD3 Speedy on the 270g. The BK's were temperamental when it came to water height in the skimmer chamber, that needs to be set and forget. The BK's have a tough time really looking impressive until you have a high bio-load in the tank. The Euro-Reef always pulled out a constant nog but nothing as thick as what the BK's would do when they were running optimally.

Do I feel the RD3 Speedy is worth it? Not for the adjustability, but yes for the DC pump and it's efficiency. Like you said the build quality on the skimmer bodies is undeniable.

Would I buy a BK again... yes. It may just be the same as a cheaper skimmer but so far I haven't decided the Vertex is quite the same.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:36 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I'm checking with Hagen tomorrow to see if they have PT-344 blocks anywhere in the back room, if so, I'll rebuild the units I have here. 2 x160 and a 200. I wake up everyday expecting the 180 in my sump to be dead too -lol

If they don't have them, I'll try a single 1350 pump. Supposedly the same block. If that works, I might just get three of those. I Know a guy who knows a guy who owns a dog that once bit someone that knows a guy, but I'll get him to hold off on anything Until I sort this out. Even if I can get better pricing, I can't afford that x3.
My 180 seized up once and all I needed to do was clean the magnet, etc. I think keeping up on the yearly maintenance is pretty darn important with the BK motors. My version didn't have the bypass. That's not to say you weren't doing it, but maybe the person you bought them from wasn't?
Old 08-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
My 180 seized up once and all I needed to do was clean the magnet, etc. I think keeping up on the yearly maintenance is pretty darn important with the BK motors. My version didn't have the bypass. That's not to say you weren't doing it, but maybe the person you bought them from wasn't?
Mine were all clean, even the one that just stopped. Impellers look new, no tightness in the bearing. It's a huge issue with the Gen 1 issues. Not saying they are bad skimmers, I think they do a decent job. But god, if they stop, you're screwed. They also don't need to be so pricey, they could be built less like trucks and still last 20 years.

Going to pick up an Omega 150 for a test run, I'll compare it to what I've seen with the BK. I'm sure it's less.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

The SWC 160 I owned would outskim any of the other lower priced needle wheels. Then I tested some Skimz for AD. It worked very well once we got the pump and needle wheel figured out right. I would say it skimmed better than the SWC. I imagine they are even better now.

When I looked after Mikes tank while he was overseas or away, I got to see many of the high end skimmers he tried. The duel Eheim pump Deltec he had out skimmed any of the other fancy expensive skimmers.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:07 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

If its any worth at all.......I'd personally never buy an omega sjkimmer for my own home system , in fact I was just offered a pretty much brand new omega for $100 to use on my new build ( yes you heard right ) and turned it down

I've had impellers go on one twice , pump seize , body crack and the cups are tiny the tuning is horrible(was never a fan of twist pipe anyways)

I love vertex product I just don't think the omega series is all its cracked up to be , the new I series maybe diff but I'm not holding my breath , i havent played with one yet but if anything I figure now I woudl have to take the body apart to replace what Breaks lol

Love my csc 450 skimmer but it's discontinued so that's just great too , I'm hoping it lives forever lol I've had no issues with this skimmer , gate ale for control and you can adjust the airlines.....two things that are important to me for how a skimmer operates.

Somewhat did I buy for my new build?

Curve series from bubble magus , cheap Chinese skimmers that are cheap as hell and even though it should be a piece of junk I've never had to warranty one , they are easy to tune(numbers can be such an easy addition to the twist pipes no?) and have a few different sizes not just a 130 or 150/180

I know I won't be amazed with this skimmer but I also ow I won't pull my hair out from it either lol

So skimmer recommendation? I have none really , I played with the new bubble king dc skimmer , it's whisper quiet and easy to tune , love the dc pump but again it costs an arm and not something I could afford to buy.

Played with the new reef octopus , again love them like the bubble king but after my last dc buy I'm not sure I would buy a dc skimmer or not atleastnntill it's been out for a year with little warranty issues .
Old 08-24-2014, 05:16 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

I run an Omega 150 in approx.100 gal. with DT & sump pulls dark brown/ dark green gross smelling sludge out and has worked flawlessly now for the last year.