Stopped using due to overflow/malfunction/other 2 1.36%
Uncertain 4 2.72%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Timer: $20
I dont even trust those for my lights, let alone for something as important as an ATO
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 02-21-2012, 02:59 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
I dont even trust those for my lights, let alone for something as important as an ATO
I think some people just have trust issues
Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM

fabbroc is on a distinguished road

my DIY auto top off consists of three float switches, two on my sump (one for redundancy) and one in the reservoir. 5v runs through these and actuate a relay for my pump. I would never trust it if I connected the pump directly to them. It works great so far. Almost a must with a skimmer
Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I love mine. It is fed by a 5g bucket so even if it goes haywire (never has and hope never will) adding 5g of fw to a 165g with 90g wide sump will not have a major negative effect. I top it off every 4-5 days (glass covered display). This would not have worked on my 210g with 75g sump (all open top) cause I lost 3+g a day on that system.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:25 PM

martinmcnally is on a distinguished road

I have one of these:

http://autotopoff.com/

Its has never failed. Used to use a Tunzie, I was buying new pumps for it every 3 months until the controller gave up.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

CONSIDERING!?!?! Really? This is a no brainer. My Tunze broke a couple weeks ago, and it makes me angry to do it manually. That said, my whole tank makes me angry right now, but that's a different story.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 02-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

used to have a gravity fed system with a float valve that failed once a year. I'd replace it and it would be good for another year. Finally when I set up my most recent tank I decided to look into a float switch. Turns out one came with my controller so I set that up. Its failed on me a couple of times (small brittle stars get into the floating part of the switch and jam it) but my topoff tank is small enough and the main tank large enough that if the whole topoff tank ends up in the sump, its not a huge deal.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:03 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

I asked the same question a couple months ago and while most people responded Tunze everyone else just said what they currently had was the best. So I went a different direction and started googling what systems have failed and why. I couldn't find any instances were a Tunze ATO caused any damage or overflows. Lots of pumps dying but usually due to owner not filling up the water. Other systems had more problems but I'll leave you to research any particular methods you are interested in.