Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-16-2010, 04:21 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Rona has unions stocked fairly regularly nowadays which is kinda nice. Home Depot I find still about 50/50. Sometimes I'm surprised by what they have, other times I'm surprised by what they don't.

This kind of valve is called a single-union ball valve and should be a fairly standard sort of thing. It's the kind of union'd valve that Western Pump happens to sell. We don't seem to be overly blessed with too many PVC warehouses in Calgary, probably on account that around here it's mainly used for garden irrigation and pools. This particular one seems defective in the housing that's intended to allow for servicing. I should probably return it but I doubt I'd get anywhere on it since it's all cemented in and stuff now. For the $15 or whatever it was it's probably worth going back in and showing them but on the other hand the time it will take me to pack up the kids and drive on over there and blah blah blah blah.

Hopefully Red Coral has the true-union style for 1.5" in stock. I *could* order from BRS, I need a 1" gate valve anyhow that nobody in town seems to have in stock at the moment, so I have to do an order anyhow at some point... but it would be nicer if I could just get this part locally. The 1" gate valve isn't quite as mission critical as it will be for the frag tank, but I kind of do need a block valve.

There was a tiny piece of silicone goo that I missed under the bulkhead gasket so at least that explains that leak. So in the meantime I can get the bulkhead reinstalled and put in a PVC plug into the bulkhead for the time being while I remake the skimmer feed line.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:22 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Yeah, you should be able to find them at any good plumbing store. We even have them here in little Powell River.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:25 PM

Never mind.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:28 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I'm usually pretty jealous at the plumbing supply stores I see and how well stocked they are when I come out to the coast. It's weird what you find yourself noticing after a few years in this hobby. "Aw man, this place has GATE VALVES? What the HE** !!!" I have found myself uttering these words sooooo many times when on vacation.

Around here though, not so much. I think it's because irrigated agriculture is much bigger out your way than it is here (which also doesn't make sense. Where does it usually rain? Where does is usually NOT rain? Summer 2010 notwithstanding.)

Anyhow I don't pretend to understand anything anymore. It is what it is. Until someone tells me the secret place that sells PVC bits galore around here, it's a combo of Red Coral, Western Pump, and Home Depot/Rona. Each place sells about 90% of what you need at any one moment. So you have to hope that the overlap of each 90% on top of each other covers closer to 98%-100% of what you need, you just accept that you have to hit up each one of them until you have everything you need, or enough for a suitable workaround.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:39 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

hey tony is this what your looking for,
Old 10-16-2010, 04:41 PM

Yes - you wanna sell it?? Please and thank you? (Is that 1.5" ? Kinda looks like 1.5" anyhow..)
Old 10-16-2010, 04:46 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

ya its a 1.5", who dosent have 1 of these floating around in the basement lol,
but ya its just sitting around so make me a fair offer and its yours, but ofcours i live on the other side of the city from you also
Old 10-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Plumbing is such a frustrating thing. Not even talking about DOING the plumbing it's acquiring all the dang parts. Even BRS didn't stock strainers for bulkheads when I did an order once. Got EVERYTHING else yet still had to make a second trip around the city in search.

Gob of silicone...you use silicone on your bulkheads man?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Ideally no. It depends on the fit of the bulkhead in the hole. The previous panel's hole was slightly larger than it needed to be so I put a tiny bead in the hole to fill the gap between the threads and the glass. (You're not supposed to put silicone under the overlap or the gasket though.). Anyhow that piece broke so there were a few tiny bits still stuck to the threads. I brushed it off as best I could but I guess I missed one tiny speck of it.

Ironically, the hole I had for 2" before was perfect and the hole for 1.5" slightly too large, this time around the hole for 1.5" is perfect and the 2" hole was slightly too large and required a tiny bit of silicone to prevent the bulkhead from shifting around in the hole.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Plumbing is such a frustrating thing. Not even talking about DOING the plumbing it's acquiring all the dang parts. Even BRS didn't stock strainers for bulkheads when I did an order once. Got EVERYTHING else yet still had to make a second trip around the city in search.

Gob of silicone...you use silicone on your bulkheads man?

I hear ya. When I plumbed the 225 I picked up what I could from the local plumbing store and then had to order from J&L, BRS and O/A.