Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 10-31-2011, 07:58 AM
Banned

unclesalty is on a distinguished road

Myself I will be saving $1000 by buying my 4 Radions from the US
so buying US is a no brainer for me. Each to their own though!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:38 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

In looking at the prices on Marine depot, and comparing them to some off our sponsors prices, I think you'll be better off going with Canadian dealers. Most of these places will give you free shipping. UPS will rape you. USPS is decent, but you'll pay for shipping which will offset the savings.

unclesalty... where are you buying from and what are you paying for them?

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 10-31-2011, 03:12 PM

Motorfranco is on a distinguished road

Already cancelled with no charge,thx guys for the info.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doch View Post
In looking at the prices on Marine depot, and comparing them to some off our sponsors prices, I think you'll be better off going with Canadian dealers. Most of these places will give you free shipping. UPS will rape you. USPS is decent, but you'll pay for shipping which will offset the savings.

unclesalty... where are you buying from and what are you paying for them?
Sorry I can not say exactly where I got them or they get busted by the "Radion police" for not following the MRSP. What I will say is that there is numerous places selling them for way below the MRSP in Canada and the US. The MRSP is just the price they have to post in their ads. Cheapest in Canada that I found was $675+tax w/free shipping. In the US best price I found $650 tax in w/free shipping, with a few places just a bit over that.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:19 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

So you're saving $25 per fixture between US & Canada, which is great, provided you're willing to wait a little longer by having the vendor ship via USPS, if the vendor provides that option. If vendor does not provide that option and uses UPS, you will get a nice little shock, probably a month or so after receipt of goods in the form of a hefty brokerage fee, negating any US/Canada savings. Even if the vendor sends USPS, & the tax at that end appears to be included, you will still be paying duty & probably GST once the goods cross the border.

I've purchased quite a number of items from the USA, mostly using USPS which usually works out to my advantage. Got burned by UPS once & learned that lesson. Also have been getting a number of LED related items from China, generally making sure shipping is included. Been buying small items of relatively low cost, so the duty ends up being negligible. I truly hope the Radion purchase works out for you in the end, if so great, but there is also the warranty issue mentioned in some posts. If you need to send them back for warranty, more shipping across the border nightmares.

Last edited by mike31154; 10-31-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Banned

Myself if any vendor ships UPS only I say no thanks and find one that will ship USPS. Most US vendors will ship how you want it shipped as it doesn't matter to them at all.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:39 PM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

Once you have your UPS tracking number, call UPS tell them you will handle the import with yourself as the broker. You then goto the Customs and complete the required forms. This will save you the hefty brokerage and lending rate that UPS charges.
Caution tho, if you fail the import forms you can try again, but the customs agents are very unforgiving for wrong answers.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamazter View Post
Once you have your UPS tracking number, call UPS tell them you will handle the import with yourself as the broker. You then goto the Customs and complete the required forms. This will save you the hefty brokerage and lending rate that UPS charges.
Caution tho, if you fail the import forms you can try again, but the customs agents are very unforgiving for wrong answers.
Thats 1 way of doing it, but myself I can't stand UPS due to getting bent over once so I totally avoid them 100% and refuse to deal with them!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

USPS is the way to go, with only $5 fee. That is it! I have had many things shipped by Postal, without issue. However be careful, many companies won't ship USPS, but UPS or other, then you will incur very high costs.

One time I bought 2 laptop batteries, they were around $30 each, but they over doubled in price because of them being shipped by UPS. I am not a fan of that company.

As others stated, warranty is kinda voided in Canada, or called grey market. If something happens, you are on your own, or have to ship back to the US, if they will allow it.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 11-01-2011, 03:15 AM

Motorfranco is on a distinguished road
Default Thx,guys

Great info from you guys,thanks!
I cancelled my order from MD and finally get it through my local fish store.
They will be in town in a week.