Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lighting Specific (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Radion,duty fee? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79629)

Motorfranco 10-30-2011 06:43 PM

Radion,duty fee?

Ordered my radion thru marinedepot,together with nextreef reactor and other stuff.
Wondering how it works for duty fee? Anyone have experience ordering stuff from MD? Percentage? How they collect it? Thru UPS?

Have seen some post saying duty fee and brokerage fee could be unreasonable like almost the same amount what you purchased,is that ture?

Any input will be appreciated,i could still have chance to cancel it.

Thx

Veng68 10-30-2011 07:25 PM

Yup........ UPS will collect all taxes (HST) and then charge you a "brokerage fee" which can be $30+ to do all the paper work to clear customs.

Cheers,
Vic

marie 10-30-2011 07:38 PM

Or you could have them send it by usps and then you only get charged $5 brokerage fee.....and the taxes of course

thanhjenn 10-30-2011 09:05 PM

If you want to see how much ups charges. Go on their site and search brokerage fee. If you can USPS is best.

Motorfranco 10-30-2011 10:26 PM

Thanks for the reply!
So I can just ask them to use USPS? How about tax rate?
If USPS takes more tax,it's probably ends up almost the same?
I'll do some search for detail,if anyone can give a quick reply,that will be great,thx

Myka 10-30-2011 10:30 PM

Taxes are always the same, based on the province you are shipping to. UPS brokerage starts at $54 from my experience and goes up depending on the value of the item. Fedex and Purolator have lower brokerage fees than UPS. UPS is the highest.

On another note, be aware when you buy items with warranty from the US you will acquire US warranty which means you have to ship the item back to the US in order to get any warranty work done. I don't care how cheap an item is in the US I will buy it in Canada so that shipping for warranty work is actually worth it. Shipping to the US for warranty costs too much for the warranty to be useful...you may as well count it as no warranty. I would rather pay a little more in Canada and have a warranty that is actually worth something. ;)

hillegom 10-30-2011 10:32 PM

as mentioned usps is the way to go. Postal service!
Taxes will be the same no matter which route you take. But I thought Alberta was tax free?

mike31154 10-31-2011 12:01 AM

No provincial tax in Alberta, but the Feds still take their cut. It's an international purchase, not an inter provincial one. And from my experience, UPS is the devil. Many US companies use them exclusively, they do not give you the choice of using USPS, so be aware of that before you click the "Buy" button.

BlueWorldAquatic 10-31-2011 12:13 AM

UPS are rip off artists, they take like 23% of the value for duties and taxes, then charge a brokerage rfee too.

If I remember the code, there is 13% duty on imports, plus GST

By the time you get it, a local supplier would have been able get it cheaper.

BTW the warrenty issues will force you to resend to the US supplier ot the USA warrant depot too.

Just my findings.

Motorfranco 10-31-2011 03:51 AM

Thx,guys,make the great point,I will try get my stuff from local.