Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-20-2010, 06:25 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Cool, thanks. So, question though, why would it have tripped on the static discharge on the ground line? Does that make any sense to you? Sorry, just trying to understand why that happened. (BTW, sorry for the hijack, Christy..)
Old 03-20-2010, 06:50 AM

outacontrol is on a distinguished road

Hard to say, was the lights plugged into the GFCI? was the cord for the lights a 3 prong or 2 prong and was id a DIY or brand name bought fixture?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:17 AM

Chase31 is on a distinguished road

well if you work up the static and it sends it down the "Neutral" wire it could set off the gfi, a static shock is around 5 Amps, so it could set it off
Old 03-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Christy if you remember the time I had the leak in the stream pump that caused the arc from the halide fixture to my head, , it never tripped out a standard plug but tripped the gfi plug in. I could also measure that leak with a meter from my tank to ground.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:43 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Had a Mag 3 pump leak current on me.
Found out when i went to adjust it while it was running in my saltwater mix bucket with my hand. BAZAPP!!
Old 03-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I didn't notice any zaps when I put my hand in the water but I wear crocs around the house so I don't know if those would make a difference. The pump runs fine and there are no odd wiring where it attaches to the pump. It was used as a calcium reactor pump for a number of years and has sat around for about 3 years or so doing nothing. This morning I think I might try it in a bathroom GFCI and see if it trips all of them or just the one I want to plug it in on.

As for the GFCI's I think they're all brand new or just a couple months old.

No splashes or moisture on the GFCI its well above and to the side of the tank (plus I inspected it, no sweats or salt creep).

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:08 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

I'm betting that the GFCI is wonky. I've seen several of them trip for no apparent reason when they get older. They seem to wear out much faster than a regular breaker, especially when they are switched on and off again repeatedly.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:21 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by outacontrol View Post
Hard to say, was the lights plugged into the GFCI? was the cord for the lights a 3 prong or 2 prong and was id a DIY or brand name bought fixture?
Does it really seem hard to say? The static charge went down the ground wire because the reflector was grounded. Nothing else was on at the time. No current leaked to the hot or neutral wires. Just the ground. Zap. Ground wire. GFCI tripped despite nothing plugged in was on. So it just seems fair to me it could be a combination of current imbalance between the hot and neutral ("black and white") wires and checking for any potential capacitance or whatever it's called, on ground. Ah well. It doesn't really matter to me. Point is it shouldn't be tripping.

Christy - my suggestion for the easiest thing to try is find another GFCI outlet (eg bathroom plug), turn it on and see what happens. If it trips you know it's not the plug. If it is the plug though then at least that's cheaper than a new Mag7.

But I've had Mag drives leak current after a few years of use. I think they get little microfractures in the housing over time. Not sure the explanation though.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:04 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

may also be that since you had just done a WC than there were splashes and dribbles all over the place around your sump. If you created a path to ground through a simple dribble down the outside of your sump that may have been enough to let the GFI trip. Give it a try today now that everything is dryed out.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:36 PM

outacontrol is on a distinguished road

[quote=Delphinus;503726]Does it really seem hard to say? The static charge went down the ground wire because the reflector was grounded. Nothing else was on at the time. No current leaked to the hot or neutral wires. Just the ground. Zap. Ground wire. GFCI tripped despite nothing plugged in was on. So it just seems fair to me it could be a combination of current imbalance between the hot and neutral ("black and white") wires and checking for any potential capacitance or whatever it's called, on ground. Ah well. It doesn't really matter to me. Point is it shouldn't be tripping.

WTF!

IS THERE A REASON YOU ARE MOCKING WHAT I AM SAYING? DO YOU HAVE ANY ELECTRICAL TRAINING?
I helped you when you could not get your 3-way switching working. Not impressed at all.
Did you read any of that link that I posted? A GFCI does not function any other way than I described it measures the current on the 2 current carrying wires (the hot and the neutral that you like to call them). It does not measure or check for current on the bare bonding wire (or ground as you like to call it) at all. Period no questions about it.