Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-14-2009, 09:18 PM

lobsterboy is on a distinguished road

Hey

I too was freaking out to start the zeovit, hearing that the tank could crash, etc.

anyways I started it up, and its nothing but amazing. I am now three months in. so far so good. Dont try to rush anything.
I am not sure if you are using KZ salt, but I found it hard to keep the tank buffered.
maybe if someone reads this, and knows a solution, PM me.
Great aquascape you got there.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterboy View Post
Hey

I too was freaking out to start the zeovit, hearing that the tank could crash, etc.

anyways I started it up, and its nothing but amazing. I am now three months in. so far so good. Dont try to rush anything.
I am not sure if you are using KZ salt, but I found it hard to keep the tank buffered.
maybe if someone reads this, and knows a solution, PM me.
Great aquascape you got there.

Hey thanks for the reassurance!

I plan to go very slow. I have had the rector and everything just sitting around for a few days now while I figure it all out. I actually have been reading for a few months now to figure out if this was the right thing for my tank but still feel nervous. After all the reading, this is certainly a great idea for my tank...high bioload and sps dominated. You know what I am really scared to do...take my refugium off line! I know it does a lot for the tank! So I am expecting a nitrate spike for a few weeks while the tank adjusts to no macro algae and the ZEO bacteria gets going.

I am using Tropic Marin salt at the moment but am switching to Reefers Best since it is made to work with the ZEO system. What are you finding hard to keep buffered while using it? It has a low alk right?

Some of the more successful ZEOvit tanks I have seen in Europe seem to be using the Balling method to keep everything else in line. I am going this way as soon as I can find the money to buy a proper doser and the salts.

I am going to test my tanks levels again today and see if the alk has dropped yet. I really hope so.

I also have to get the K+ test since potassium is one of the major elements that is depleted in a low nutrient ZEO system. I have actually never tested potassium before so that should be interesting.

EDIT: From all the reading I have done on ZEOvit.com last night and various other sites, it seems that most of the problems have occurred when people have rushed into ZEO without testing their water parameters and adjusting them to suit the ZEO system OR because they thought adding more than the recommended doses would speed the process up. Then there seems to be some problems when people start using the entire line right from the start instead of starting slow, testing and using the additives that suit their system.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 01-14-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 PM

I have been told that once I get the reactor going, I should begin by cycling it on and off in 3 hour intervals. So 3 hours on, 3 hours off, 3 hours on, ect.

From what I gather, its to be sure the tank is not starved of nutrients all at once which leads to sps problems.

Just wondering how many of you actually did this? I am going to go ahead and do it since I can just set up my controller to turn it on and off for me but I had never heard of this before until some of the guys on the ZEO forum told me its very important to do.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 PM

lobsterboy is on a distinguished road

I didnt cycle my zeo at all, just got it up and running, change the zeolites, every first day of the month. keep the same dosing schedule, for 3months now, but am going to start adding, an extra drop of everything, see what happens.
I TOO, had the same problem with the refugium. i was like, am i going to keep it, ????? didnt know what to do, then one day later, started syphoming, the samd out and that it was. I wasnt running a skimmer, for 2 years, before I started the zeo system, so i made sure it was up and running for a month before i started.
yeah i find it has a low alk, dosing everyday to bump it up.

anyways, if you have any ques, pm me.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterboy View Post
I didnt cycle my zeo at all, just got it up and running, change the zeolites, every first day of the month. keep the same dosing schedule, for 3months now, but am going to start adding, an extra drop of everything, see what happens.
I TOO, had the same problem with the refugium. i was like, am i going to keep it, ????? didnt know what to do, then one day later, started syphoming, the samd out and that it was. I wasnt running a skimmer, for 2 years, before I started the zeo system, so i made sure it was up and running for a month before i started.
yeah i find it has a low alk, dosing everyday to bump it up.

anyways, if you have any ques, pm me.
Thanks again. No real questions yet since I am just waiting until my water parameters stabilize until I start anything. I have very high alk from dosing limewater. I have stopped for three days now and will see if that helped.

BTW, anyone using the Vertex ZEO reactor? Thats what I picked up simply because it was cost effective. Seems very well built too.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:20 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

the one 3 and off 3 is very important I believe it is the number 1 cause of tank craches or cyano out breaks. But you can do something else. just dial the pump down from full open to about 1/3 open then you can run it full time

J
Old 01-14-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
the one 3 and off 3 is very important I believe it is the number 1 cause of tank craches or cyano out breaks. But you can do something else. just dial the pump down from full open to about 1/3 open then you can run it full time

J
Ahhh yes that makes sense. Either way for me is easy. I certainly got the feeling this was an important step though because every single newbie thread I read through on ZEO.com had this advice given to them and made it clear how important this was to do for the first month or so. Some of them said you can even continue this long term and always have it cycle.

Jason how often do you change your ZEOlites?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:36 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

I change every 12 weeks. but at the begining I'd say 8 to 10 weeks

J
Old 01-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post

J
Yeah I have my reactor effluent dialed down as when the pump is off the rocks are out of water as the level in my sump isn't high enough. It works fine

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Yeah I have my reactor effluent dialed down as when the pump is off the rocks are out of water as the level in my sump isn't high enough. It works fine
Good to know. I think the rocks would still be in the water even when off but I am not sure yet. I will have to see and then make a choice.

Thanks!