Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-21-2006, 10:29 PM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

take out the filter floss from the fluval, only run carbon. i'm guessing you did too many water changes and the new saltwater did not have time to fully dissolve, did you test the parameters of each new batch of saltwater you made? rapid changes in water parameters reak havoc on the system. stable conditions is more important than achieving an ideal number. do a full test of all parameters on your tank and post on here what you get. let the tank sit for a couple days and settle out. its one thing to do a 50% change in a day but if you were doing a change every day than more than likely thats what has happened. acclimate your fish that is in the bucket to your tank for about 45 minutes and then put them back in. hope this helps. the more info you give us on your water parameters the more we can help. if you have added nothing in months and only thing that has changed is the multiple water changes then that has to be it

my tank setup
Old 12-21-2006, 10:32 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

If your fish have developed Ick I wouldn't put them back into the tank. Set up a hopsital tank so you can treat them with hyposalinty or copper if need be.

Watch your LPS, if they are doing ok then I wouldn't worry about your softies. If your shrimp are doing ok then we're looking better.

Your bristle worms are a good indicator that something is definately wrong though. Did something die in the tank recently, before your first fish, like a coral perhaps? What is the popluation of your bristle worms? Sometimes they reach a critical population and start inter and intra specific warefair with themselves and other creatures. This can ultimately cause a NO3 spike because of all of the death. I've also seen a die off of worms and snails caused by ALK and PH spikes.

Check you electical as well to make sure there are no shorts etc.

I think the most important thing to do though, is not panic. Slow down and really anylize your situation, don't do anything too drastically, that could make things worse.

So you have a sandbed?
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 12-21-2006, 10:33 PM

draco is on a distinguished road

i keep my salinity at 0.023. oh and i figured out what the wite dots where this is stupid of me, but i ws in such a rush to get my fish out of the tank that i didnt fully mix my salt and it rested on some of the fish they are fine that way now, but they still have no home
Old 12-21-2006, 10:35 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

You do need to tell us what your test #'s are - not just fine or high but the actual # from the test.
I agree you may have tried to do too much too fast (as in water changes). Before you put your fish back in the tank please post your test #'s and we can give you a little bit more help.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:38 PM

i totally agree with ruth. it is a positive sign though that your shrimp are doing good, like ruth said.

my tank setup
Old 12-21-2006, 10:39 PM

there were alot of briste worms all over just hanging out of the rocks i have never actually seen one in my tank until now. i havnt lost any of my pets(animals i have purchased) recently, but i dont really know what might have been living in there. so you think that i sould do a big water change then add my fish back in. and run only carbon in my filter. ohhh i have been using something in my filter called greenX, do you think that this may have done something to my tank? i dont know what happens when it has expired or it is does.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:42 PM

never heard of greenx my self. i would not do another water change until you post on here what the parameters are currently of the main tank. dont add fish or anything until you do this.

my tank setup
Old 12-21-2006, 10:54 PM

sorry i have a red sea marine lab test kit. my alkalinity is 1.7-2.8,my nitrite is 0.2, and my nitrate is 20,
Old 12-21-2006, 10:55 PM

my ammonia is 0
Old 12-21-2006, 11:25 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Those #'s don't look too bad to me although you are showing some nitrite so that is not great as it means that something is not quite right. IMO Red Sea are not the most accurate tests and if at all possible it might be worth your while to either try and borrow some Salifert or Elos test kits (or if you have a friend with those test kits take a samle of water over and re-test it) or if there is a saltwater fish store in Drayton Valley take a sample in there and have them test it.
I have no experience with greenx but I do know that it is a phosphate remover. The only thing I would run in your canister filter for the next while (say a couple of weeks) is carbon and change it out often (say every 3-4 days) Also make sure that you have a quality carbon to run. I know that you can buy some very good quality carbon from Prairie Reef Supplies for a very reasonable price.