Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-22-2005, 06:51 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

QTs do require more maintainence than your show tank for sure. But in the case of doing hyposalinty treament you will find that you are contantly changing water anyways, so for that purpose they aren't as bad. Size of course is always the issue.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 08-22-2005, 07:02 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer
Default Re: reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot
...hyposalinty treament...
Hey Danny,

I remember you mentioning hyposalinity treatment a few months back with your ich issue. What exactly is that?

Cheers,
Old 08-22-2005, 07:26 PM

shadowboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to shadowboy Send a message via MSN to shadowboy Send a message via Yahoo to shadowboy

hyposalinity is treatment for ich using water with a lower salainty level than regular saltwater. The ich parasites will drop from the fish, not able to survive in these conditions.I have tried this with tangs, tangs should never be exposed to copper IMO. It kills the helpful bateria in there digestive system, this also goes for angels and fish without scales, such as puffers, marine catfish... i think copper is effective but extremly harsh on the fish and there is too many things that can go wrong with it for me to use it.
Qt has never worked for me, i find the water volume to unstable, but i know other people use it with great sucess. Just find what works best for you

tristan

Livestock: powderblue tang,scopas tang,sailfin tang, blue tang, longnose hawkfish, coral beauty,2 clown fish,royal gramma,checkerboard wrasse, sixline wrasse.

soon to running 55 gallon refugium.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:28 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

I was beaten to it... well put !
Old 08-22-2005, 08:18 PM

Default reply

What he said. There is a specific way to do hyposalinity treatment to achive the results you need with minimal stress to the fish. I did loose my lionfish during this process only to find out later that they are extreamly sensitive to hyposalinity. All other fish are thriving now.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Old 08-22-2005, 09:16 PM

reefandt is on a distinguished road

lots of reply on this topic, thanks guys. just a update on my purple tang. i run a UV sterilizer last night, i did feed garlic to the fish - I just soaked frozen food with crushed garlic in water. I also have 1 cleaner shrimp and 3 fire shrimps in my tank. so far, the tang is doing well, it has lost half of the white spots. As for where it got the ick in the first place, i think it always had them. I got this tang 4 months ago, white spots appeared from time to time. i guess it is a reaction to poor water quality and stress. I bought some new fish from JLa few days ago, i think there was some fighting going on in the tank which stressed the tang. anyways, I dont think i will use the kick-ich because i have heard some poor feedback from others. i will continue to feed garlic to the fish, hopefully the ich will disappear soon. thanks everyone.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:19 PM

Default REPLY

Tangs are definately ick magnets, good luck!