Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-23-2015, 11:59 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

From what I understand with the units that have dimmer knobs is you have one intensity all day and night don't you? And then they go off. I enjoy tinkering with the programming feature on the Evergrow from time to time, it's digital so you know exactly what percent you're at for each channel. at 1130 pm the lights are programmed so just the blues and UVs are on so everything fluorescent glows and my house isn't flooded with intense tank lighting anymore. At midnight the moonlights come on and it's just subtle. Same thing in the morning, slow ramp up

The sun changes intenesity on corals throughout the day, so why not have lights that do the same.... If price is a factor then that looks like a pretty big difference! So guess just depends on how much you'd like to spend.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:11 AM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
From what I understand with the units that have dimmer knobs is you have one intensity all day and night don't you? And then they go off. I enjoy tinkering with the programming feature on the Evergrow from time to time, it's digital so you know exactly what percent you're at for each channel. at 1130 pm the lights are programmed so just the blues and UVs are on so everything fluorescent glows and my house isn't flooded with intense tank lighting anymore. At midnight the moonlights come on and it's just subtle. Same thing in the morning, slow ramp up

The sun changes intenesity on corals throughout the day, so why not have lights that do the same.... If price is a factor then that looks like a pretty big difference! So guess just depends on how much you'd like to spend.
Hmm I guess I'll just fork over the few extra bills n get the programmable then if it does promote better coral color n growth. Was thinking y pay more if not needed. Might as well now since I already spent so much on my new in wall system. For the ever grow only the IT series can be programmed right? Do I need anything else to program them like apex or is there wifi app n such?
Old 01-24-2015, 01:14 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

You will get a lot of color separation with those fixtures. Personally, I wouldn't run "cheap" LEDs. I would prefer to run T5s. Even AI Sols compared to AI Hydra are just no comparison (in long-term coral color). I have seen the eBay ones over a tank and was not impressed.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 01-24-2015 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:44 AM

Ping pong balls

Old 01-24-2015, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Ping pong balls

Lol what kind of lights r those?
Old 01-24-2015, 04:35 AM

Evergrow It2060. The lenses (optics) were removed and I cut ping pong balls in half and siliconed them over each LED. They used to be too bright to keep chalices but now there's nothing I can't grow

ipad pictures so they look very blue.... this is just moonlights

Last edited by GoFish; 01-24-2015 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:38 AM

Give u points for creativity lol. 90deg optics r better for sps right? Or should I go with 120s