Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-31-2014, 04:47 AM

jason604 is on a distinguished road
Default My In Wall 110g Tank build

So after 2 years of having my first reef tank(75g). I made plenty of mistakes such as placement, terrible rock work, massive negligence, very long process of doing water changes I have decided enough is enough. Old tank was right beside 3 windows so it was being blasted by that yellow sun on the daily so I can never fully escape algae. After buying a 110g 5 ft tank I told might as well do it once and do it right. So I decided that I would do a in wall tank system. The place where I'm putting the tank has a small room that the previous owners used as a laundry room so I have access to water for easy water changes and can fit a sink in there.

Here's the closet that I'm tearing apart to put my tank inside. Mom was pretty choked lol. She had to find another place for all her pantries and things.

Here's the small room. I wore down the wall

Here's pic from where the front of the tank will be. I'm think of leaving all the stud from the small room to the closet intacted because it's a load bearing wall. 16" between each stud should be enough for me to maintain my tank. For the 3 studs on the closet wall will need to be cut in order to put the tank in. I will cut those 3 out then use two 2x4 and brace it horizontal from one end to the other above where my tank will be. I will need to move my electrical switches over to the side a bit and I will build a stand within the closet space and just slide the tank into place. Tank is about 400lbs or so thought so stand will have to be build extra strong. My tank is 1/2"

Tomorrow I will cut and brace the studs.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:30 AM

Tank stand has been build into my house's frame so it will be super strong. I put the tank in to see how it looks and fits. So far I think it's solid. I will now need to take the tank out and cover the inside space with plastic sheets and some of those foam cans so make sure moister and water spash won't mess up my walls and ceiling in the tank space

Old 01-20-2015, 08:58 AM

My project is pretty much completed. I'm currently just mixing the salt water. Tomorrow I will do about 20 gal water change on my old system and putting that water into my new tank to help it cycle a bit faster. For the new system I will be using about 60lbs or so of dry rock that I had bleached and acid bathed about 2 months ago that was cycling in a bin and about 80lbs or so in my current tank. I will slowly add sand and a bit of live rock from my current system each time I do a water change for it. I'm planning to slowly move everything from my old tank to the new in the time span of each week for about 2 months or so. I will reuse all my old sand but of course I will rinse it well in tank water from each water change.

Here's some update pics.
110gal 5ft tank with corner braces and bernie drilled

50gal 4 ft sump that I made with baffles for bubble trapping, a refugium area, and also a large final chamber where I will keep as a frag tank and return pump on the far left.

Wall is repaired and painted. Tank is now in wall. I havnt fully decided what to do with the access space above the tank yet but it will be covered in a sleek way I hope and will be easily removed if needed.

Sink is now installed and fully functional in the fish room. This will be the greatest convienience of all.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:13 AM

Tomorrow I will also go out and buy vinyl flooring to cover the whole room because I know I will surely make a clumsy water spill in the future lol. Fish room is small only 7'x7'

As for my equipment list most stuff will be from my existing setup:
Flow:
2x WP-25( from old setup)
2x hydor 1500 powerheads(mainly just for stirring up dead spots)
Skimmer: vertex in180
Return pump is a quiet one 4000
Doser-marine magic(old system)
Jbj auto top off(old system)
Aquasafecanada 100gpd ro/di
For lighting I was thinking of the ai sols but I would like to try full spectrum. Going to order 2 of these fixtures from ebay. http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...8113#&panel1-8
For frag tank/ macro algae I will be using my old setup's blue/whites chinese led fixtures. They had no problem keeping all my sps alive in my old 4ft tank so they should be just fine for a 14"x12" chamber in my sump.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:34 PM

CM125 is on a distinguished road

In for updates!! Love that pump choice, and some custom cabinet doors would look good above, maybe match your kitchen
Old 01-20-2015, 03:24 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Lookin good man. Keep the pics coming. I'm looking to do something similar to this.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM125 View Post
In for updates!! Love that pump choice, and some custom cabinet doors would look good above, maybe match your kitchen
So for the quiet one pump has not lived up to its name lol. It's pretty damn loud haha. I'm gonna sway away from carbonate doors. I'm trying to make the tank wall seem like it doesn't belong to the house to make it really pop. Gonna add a wood moulding around tank. Already bought it but just need to cut be corners. I'm thinking of just putting a black hard plastic to cover that access and put deco rational things on the ledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy00 View Post
Lookin good man. Keep the pics coming. I'm looking to do something similar to this.
U should do it!! I can't wait to start filling the tank up with corals.

So what do u guys think about the color spectrum of the lights I'm thinking about ordering? And how about my method of slowly moving over sand n rock from my existing tank? Will that shock my tank and kill my reef/inhabitants? Pros please chime in n stop me if needed lol.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:26 PM

CM125 is on a distinguished road

That's strange that the pump is loud, mine is super quiet. I had to tweak the pipe a bit to make it silent but its great. Maybe look at something shiny and black for the cover, like the concepts tank
Old 01-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

My "Quiet one" was also not very quiet. Now use Eheim and Jebao dc6000. Those are quiet.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

i remember the day i brought my laundry tub 'online'. i felt like a god but my wife didn't really understand the thrill lol. her response was "when do i get a new tap upstairs? you have the best one in the house in your fishroom". wall looks so much better already but you're going to have a tough time finding a solution that makes such an opening seamless... good luck!

+1 on the loud quiet ones. they've never been known to be quiet really... had one on my first tank ever.